Friday, September 28, 2012

NYX Absolute Red Xtreme Lip Cream Review & Photos!

nyx absolute red

NYX Absolute Red Xtreme Lip Cream

NYX Absolute Red Xtreme Lip Cream ($5.99) is an opaque cherry/blood red lip color with a glossy finish. NYX Xtreme Lip Creams are a lipgloss/lipstick hybrid as the product is completely opaque with one coat, yet it has the texture and shine of a gloss. I'd compare the pigmentation to OCC Lip Tars, though these are much more moisturizing.

Absolute Red is such a perfect, sexy shade of red, and I can't imagine it looking bad on anyone. It looks like a "Snow White" red with one coat and if I blot my lips with a tissue, it takes on a bright raspberry color (which is essentially what it fades to on me). With two coats, it takes on a deeper red-wine shade. It's kind of like a chameleon..

The first ingredient in this gloss is Castor Oil, so if you're familiar with it, you can imagine the consistency. It's thick and moisturizing, yet it's completely non-sticky/tacky or greasy. Also, if you're familiar with the scent of Castor Oil, that's what the gloss smells like - kind of woody/plastic-like, but I don't even notice it anymore.

The lasting power is just as really good - the red in particular is still on my lips after several hours (although it will fade slightly).

nyx absolute red

nyx absolute red swatches
NYX Absolute Red on my lips.

nyx absolute red

nyx absolute red

I am obsessed with NYX Xtreme Lip Creams and I'm thinking about purchasing the whole collection because I am that crazy! My favorite color for every day is the color Nude Peach Fuzz.

If you haven't tried these out, I urge you to check them out if you have access to NYX products near you. Currently NYX is 40% off at ULTA!

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • The perfect red (can vary with different skin tones)
  • Extremely pigmented color 
  • Isn't sticky - comfortable on the lips
  • Great lasting power - better than standard lipglosses
  • Inexpensive
Cons: 
  • Yucky smell of Castor Oil - which may only be bothersome to those sensitive to scents in lip products.
Price: $5.99, Ulta, NYX & Cherry Culture.

19 comments:

  1. N.Y.X has great lip glosses I still cant believe how cheap they are when I buy it and how great the quality is. I love this lip shade on you...great post!! RoRos World

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just picked up Absolute Red 2 days ago and already wore it out! That's how much I love it! And I agree they are very moisturizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do these compare to the Soft Matte Lip Creams?


    http://playitproper.blogspot.hk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally haven't tried the Soft Matte Creams (they have never really caught my attention). I have swatched a couple of testers at Ulta before to understand what the consistency is like, and they are very different in that aspect.

      The Soft Matte Lip Creams contain a lot of silicones and from my experience, lip products with similar consistencies tend to feel like a film on the lips, are usually drying and wear off quickly.

      The Xtreme Lip Creams are a more moisturizing formula, I'm sure are longer lasting and more pigmented.

      Delete
  4. I just LOVE the way you photograph your products! Very pretty and fun! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow love the pigmentation, i'm really intrigued by these now!

    a-la-foliee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wear red so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks very nice! Such a shame they started animal testing in June.

    Oh yeah, I was looking through my swap tokens on MUA (my username is biliboong) and I just realized I did a swap with you last year, LOL. I didn't not notice/remember it was YOU that I swapped it. "Hey!! I follow her blog!!" Hahaha. Was an awesomem moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!? I was with my friend who lives the Vegan lifestyle, and she was going to purchase some but didn't luckily. What a bummer!!

      Haha, yes!!! I remember. That's too funny. :)

      Delete
    2. That's what I've been reading lately! A video said they started third party testing in June and then I asked people on Twitter about it and they said yes.

      Oh, companies, why you making it harder for those of us that like the cruelty free things to purchase from you. D:

      Delete
  8. Ohhh, I had a couple of these in hand when I went to my new Ulta and then put them back because I didn't know how moisturizing they would be on me since my lips are so difficult! I am going to get a couple now! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one hot lip color! Although smells usually turn me off to products, I'm going to have to make an exception to this one. Sold! :)

    -xo, Brittany
    @suburbchicblog

    ReplyDelete
  10. im pretty sure i have this!! is it sad that i can't remember??? if i don't, i have to go on a hunt because i love it and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great color! Can't wait to try this out! Love NYX products

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous color! I am obsessed with red lip colors. It's the main color I wear. Thanks to your beautiful swatch, I just purchased this lip gloss/lip stick on eBay (there is no Ulta where I live and you can not find NYX products in any stores). Thanks for this gorgeous swatch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I applied so many lipstick products but for me it’s one of the best lipstick item. www.chicparlour.com

    ReplyDelete