Friday, September 28, 2012

NYX Hippie Chic Matte Lipstick Review, Photos and Swatches!

nyx hippie chic lipstick

NYX Hippie Chic Matte Lipstick

NYX Hippie Chic Matte Lipstick ($5.99) is a bright pastel flamingo pink with a matte finish. If any of you are familiar with NYX Orange Soda, it reminds me of a pink version of it. Or, a lighter version of Nars Bolero Velvet Matte Lip Pencil.

I don't have any experience with NYX Matte Lipsticks (I've only used the Round Lipsticks) and although I tend to steer away from matte formulas, I really liked some of the colors of the matte lipstick range.

The problem is - when pale lip colors have a matte finish (especially when they are very pigmented), they can have the tendency to apply streaky and look chalky on the lips, unless it's a sheer, moisturizing formula.

When wearing Hippie Chic I have to make sure to moisturize and exfoliate my lips, so they are completely free of dryness and flakes. Dryness becomes very noticeable with this lipstick. Even after my lips are completely free of dryness, the color still manages to look dry on my lips unless I apply a layer of lip balm as a base.

To really get this lipstick to work, I like applying a good coat of Smith's Rosebud Salve (my favorite lip balm - has a glossy finish) and applying a few coats of Hippie Chic over top. I additionally like to apply a coat of lipgloss on top, because Hippie Chic has the tendency to hang out in the lip lines.

Hippie Chic is a super pretty color, so if you're willing to work around the not-so-great formula, it might be worth giving a shot. It could also work as a good mixing shade (as MAC Myth is a popular shade to tone down other lipsticks).

For matte lipsticks, I highly prefer Wet n Wild Mega Last Matte Lipsticks - and they are cheaper!

nyx hippie chic lipstick

nyx hippie chic swatch
NYX Hippie Chic on my lips.

nyx hippie chic lipstick lipstick

nyx hippie chic swatch

I have one more shade I'm going to review, but I don't think I'll purchase any other lipsticks from this line. I'll stick to their Round Lipsticks.

The Round-Up 

Pros:
  • Pigmented
  • Lightweight formula
  • Great colors to choose from
  • Inexpensive
Cons:
  • Accentuates dryness
  • Can be drying when worn alone
  • Can look chalky if too much is applied
Price: $5.99, Ulta, NYX & Cherry Culture. (Currently NYX is 40% off at ULTA)

23 comments:

  1. sort of like MAC Pink Friday? a little..:)?xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that really does accentuate lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? Gloss on top is a must, otherwise it's not flattering at all on it's own.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing! looks good but too bad its drying.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty color...did they change their packaging for their lipsticks? It looks different. RoRos World

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty color :) it would look really nice on pale lips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of the Matte lippy range from NYX just because my lips wont look good with matte shades!
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am in love with this matte range.. i have tried its angle and that is superb... nice review
    www.mahrukhhayyat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see how it can be to drying

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's perfect!
    I'm starting to transition into darker shades for fall plus my lips tend to get dry so matte shades are a nono!
    Great review!

    Checkout My blog and Jewelry Store! <3
    http://lovelyxobsessions.blogspot.com/
    Shop Lovely Obsessions

    ReplyDelete
  10. that swatches beautifully...but I don't think I could deal with it, because my lips have a LOT of lines. lol

    http://shortandsweetjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the review, I was looking at some of these the the other day in Ulta. Good thing I didn't get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the darker shades would be better, but regardless, I don't like the consistency of them. Blegh!

      Delete
  12. The shade looks good, but I don't like that it accentuates the lines. Thanks for the review!

    http://purejeanius.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Such a pretty shade, it's a shame the formula stinks. I'd love this shade in a creamy, shinier formula.

      Delete
  13. I have these in Audrey (bright light pink) and Merlot(deep bright fuchsia, actually looks like lips are stained with wine), and both are extremely beautiful colors. If you use lip balm before you apply, the drying tends to not be bad at all. I think the Matte Lipsticks did fail when it comes to the nude and very light shades, but you should look into trying them again in the darker colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Review! Crystal Clear Pics! Totally love your blog. The NYX hippie chic color from Matte Lipstick looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! I felt the same way about this lipstick. Beautiful in the tube, but on the lips, had a few things I'd change. Love your blog!

    girlgetglamorous.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely love the colour but not too sure about the consistency! I love all of your photos though, really clear x

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh very nice, please have a look at my blog its new! http://maybemayhemmakeup.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This blog enhance to beauty and make your face stunning and gorgeous. click here

    ReplyDelete