Sunday, September 2, 2012

Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara Review!

Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara

Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara ($19) is a lengthening mascara with conditioning ingredients to promote growth and prevent breakage. It's an ultra-black, glossy formula that doesn't flake or flake.

Formulated without: •Sulfates •Synthetic Fragrances •Synthetic Dyes •Petrochemicals •Phthalates •GMOs •Triclosan

The tube design is pretty unique. The product is in-cased in a sturdy squeeze tube. It's great because you can get every last drop of the product out, just like a tube of toothpaste. With the standard mascara tube design, you're pretty much missing the product at the very top and bottom (like the old Urban Decay Primer Potion packaging  ugh, awful).

The brush design is.. well.. different. It's skinny and has a spiral bristle design. I'm not exactly convinced that it's a very effective design. It's a little awkward, and I notice that it doesn't coat my lashes evenly, as more product seems to gather at the base of my lashes, than the rest of my lash. With continued coats, it evens out, but can get clumpy. *To avoid clumpy lashes, wipe any excess product off the brush before applying.

With this mascara in particular, I prefer applying the coats continuously without allowing my lashes to dry in-between. It builds very well, and there are less clumps because you aren't re-dipping your brush until you get to the other eye.

The result? I found my lashes to look very curled (no lash curler necessary!) and the super black formula makes my lashes stand out, even from a distance. It also gives a little extra length and volume. My only real gripe is that it causes many of my lashes to clump together. So, keeping a clean spoolie handy will be your new BFF with this mascara.


My lashes before (no primer or lash curler used) and my lashes after (bear in mind that my lashes have NOT been combed though to separate any clumps).



On my left eye, I used a lash comb to separate my lashes. On my right eye, I didn't separate my lashes. You can see the difference between both eyes. On my left eye, the lashes look shorter and straighter, and my right eye they are a bit more clumpy, but appear longer and curlier.

Although my lashes on the right might look a little wild, I like the way they look in mirror distance away.

The deal breaker with every mascara is pretty much if it smudges or flakes under my eyes, and I'm so excited to say that this mascara doesn't do either! I don't know if it's just me, but every mascara on the market smudges on me (and I don't even have oily skin) from very mild to crazy black smudges. The only mascara I can wear all day without ever checking in the mirror is Covergirl Lash Blast. Maybelline The Falsie's comes in second place with very, very minor smudges.

For that reason alone, I'm going to continue using this mascara on a daily basis. I think the formula of this mascara is great, but the only drawback is the brush design. The brush can make or break a mascara, and in this case, it breaks it.

*I forgot to mention the little blue plastic guard that comes with this mascara. It takes a little coordination, but it works if you're someone who is often likely to get mascara on their lids during application. *raises hand* I'm not going to use it on the regular, but I might use it when I'm wearing eyeshadow that I don't want to mess up. (A business card or credit card can work as a guard too.)

Have you tried any of Eyeko's mascaras? What'd you think?

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Super-black formula  — makes lashes look more dramatic and noticeable
  • Adds both volume and length (not very dramatic though, for those who want a false lash effect)
  • Keeps my lashes curled (as long as I don't comb them out, then they fall flat)
  • Very long-lasting (stays put all day and night)
  • No clumps or flakes
  • Packaging is pretty cool  — no waste!
Cons:
  • Clumps easily
  • Tends to apply more product at the base of the lashes
Price: $19, Sephora.

20 comments:

  1. Cool product, thanks for the review! It reminds me of a Physician's Formula mascara I used a lot in high school, it also came in a tube! LOL But my dog used to chew it all the time when she was a puppy, ruined more than a couple tubes that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like how this mascara looks on your eyes. Maybe because I prefere when my lashes got more volume:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice effect! it´s a very different container but it looks better for the fact of being squeeze tube, to get all the product out, good thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really wanted to try this mascara, it looks great :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. does this have a wet or dry formula? i want to try it based off your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a wet formula, but I noticed that if I blink right away, it doesn't transfer - which is great because wet formulas tend to be pretty messy.

      Delete
  6. nice!!! i think it looks pretty good!^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that blue thing was a guitar pick/charm that just comes with it, hehe. I like that this is a squeeze tube, standard tubes make it so hard to get the remaining mascara out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a great product for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow what a dramatic difference. love the toothpaste tube packaging, can't imagine why other mascaras aren't packaged that way.

    http://shortandsweetjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mascara really looks amazing. the packaging is cute too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a difference! I have been interested in this mascara for a while now and seeing your review makes me even more intrigued! Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I really like the unique packaging.

    http://purejeanius.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your eye color!
    merrybellyland777.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah.... your lashes look mega long! Nice demo. I much prefer the lashes done w/o the comb. The packaging is too cute. I'm so glad this doesn't smudge. Going to pick up a tube ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So tempted to go out and buy this now... Your lashes look lovely!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow....that actually looks really nice! I'm impressed! Am...am I the only one tempted to use the eyelash guard as a guitar pick? >> <<

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super-Duper blogs! I love it really!! Would come back to visit soon, again Thanks. click here

    ReplyDelete