Friday, September 14, 2012

QVC Beauty Test Tube Review!

QVC Beauty Test Tube August 2012

QVC Beauty Test Tube ($29.95) is an exclusive, one-of-a-kind sampling program enabling members the opportunity to try a variety of the best beauty products before investing in them, and then share their feedback about the products. Every three months, for $29.95 (plus shipping and handling), subscribers receive a Test Tube filled with deluxe and full-size samples of coveted, high-performance luxury products and the latest issue of NewBeauty magazine. TestTube subscribers also receive videoemails, demonstrating how to achieve optimal results with the products. With 25,000 subscribers, Test Tube has built an unprecedented community of beautyenthusiasts and informed women who sample and share their product favorites.

So unlike the other beauty sample subscriptions, you get four packages a year, as opposed to 12 with most of the other sites. That is $120 a year, while you'd be paying the same amount of money with other companies or more (Birchbox $10/month, Glossybox $21/month, Beauty Box 5 $12/month, etc.) And these other companies give several one-use samples, whereas TestTube only gives deluxe samples.

My aunt gave me five of the products to try and keep, and I was so excited to share my overall thoughts with you!

The August Test Tube included:
Philosophy Love Sweet Love Shampoo, Bath, and Shower Gel, 1 fl oz
A multitasking cleanser for hair and body with a heart-warming scent.
Full Size (16 oz) $22

Bliss Lemon + Sage Body Butter, 1.7 fl oz, TRAVEL SIZE
Bliss Body Butter restores moisture to even the most 'rough and scaly skin' as it protects the skin from free radicals. It smoothes, softens, and hydrates dry skin, without making it feel greasy. Used in over 70,000 bliss spa massages every year worldwide, this superior skin-smoothing formula has gained a huge following—making it one of Bliss' best selling products.
Travel Size (1.7 oz) $6, Full Size (6.7 oz) $29


Mally High Shine Liquid Lipstick Pen in the shade Mally's Look, 0.12-oz, FULL SIZE
Mally's High-Shine Liquid Lipstick Pen is a high-performance, 4-in-1 product that includes your lip primer, lipstick, lip gloss, and lip liner all in one! It is a beautiful, smooth, and creamy formula that lasts. These lip pens give you the perfect amount of color combined with the sexy high shine of a gloss.
Full Size (0.12 oz) $20

Laura Geller Waterproof Eye Spackle Eye Shadow Primer, 0.074-fl oz, FULL SIZE
The lightweight, silky texture improves eyeshadow wear, prevents creasing and resists fading, so color stays put – and stays true. Subtle, light-reflecting pigments conceal imperfections and brighten the eye area, while the neutral skin tone helps hide any discoloration and chase away darkness.
Full Size (0.074 oz) $23

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, 0.5-fl oz
The silky blend of vitamins and antioxidants smoothes and perfects skin, while the unique formula helps to inhibit the destruction of collagen, and fills in fine lines and pores for a flawless finish. Use before foundation application.
Travel Size (0.4 oz) $17, Full Size (1 oz) $36

Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil, 0.17-fl oz
This legendary, lightweight oil, grown organically in Morocco, is rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Use it as a fast absorbing daily moisturizer, or to heal and condition everything from cuticles to split ends. Plus it is 100% organic! Housed in a recyclable glass bottle.
Full Size (1.7 oz) $48

Ojon Damage Reserve Restorative Conditioner, 2-fl oz
This lush, concentrated daily conditioning balm doesn't just sit on the surface. It surrounds dry, brittle hair with nourishing lipids including Ojon oil, nature's golden elixir, antioxidant-rich Brazilian Buriti Oil, and Murumuru Butter, helping to seal in vital moisture and create the perfect buffer against daily damage.
Full Size (8.5 oz) $25

Algenist Firming & Lifting Cream, 0.5-fl oz
This cream leverages the power of alguronic acid and ProPeptide3. Brought together in a never-before-seen antiaging complex, these ingredients boost production of skin's key structural proteins: elastin, collagen, and proteoglycans. As it strengthens skin's structure, this advanced formula redefines facial contours, leaving skin smooth, sculpted, and lifted.
Full Size (2 oz) $94

New Beauty Magazine
is also included, which is an awesome magazine!!!

I am officially obsessed with Philosophy Love Sweet Love. It's a light, fruity and sweet scent - but not overly sweet. It doesn't have an artificial smell, and I'm sure I can smell it all day long without feeling nauseated (certain notes make me feel nauseous). I'm actually planning on purchasing the Love Sweet Love Eau De Toilette because I love it so much!

I've used the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer in the past, and it's a pretty average silicone primer. It does the job of evening out the texture of the skin for a smooth application of foundation. I never buy primer because I think they are overpriced, but it's nice to have a generous sample included, considering it's something I don't like to spend money on! Some cheaper alternatives are ELF Mineral Infused Facial Primer, Hard Candy Sheer Envy Primer and Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Gel (yes, totally serious).

Mally's Look is a really pretty creamy, neutral pink. It's pigmented for a lipgloss, feels great on the lips and isn't sticky.

Mally's Look on my lips (lips lined with MAC Subculture Lip Pencil)

I've so far only tested the Laura Gellar Eye Spackle on my hand, so I can't say much yet, but I'll post a full review on it soon. I've only tried the Ojon Conditioner once, so I can't really state my opinion on it yet.

As for the other products I don't have, I already use and love Josie Maran Argan Oil, and the moisturizer and body butter have great reviews.

I'm not subscribed to any monthly beauty box, but I would choose Test Tube over any of the others. I've read and watched many reviews for various sites, and none of them have wow'ed me. The Beauty Test Tube seems to be the best value overall.

What do you think? Would you pay $30 for this? Are you subscribed to any monthly subscription sites?

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Included two full size products, one travel size and the Smashbox sample is actually 0.1 oz larger than the travel size - these four products added together are worth over $66. 
  • Products included are balanced - moisturizer, face primer, eye primer, hand cream, lip gloss, conditioner, treatment, shampoo/bath gel. There aren't any repeats (two moisturizers, etc).
  • The samples are nice sizes - there are no skimpy one-use packs.
  • All are name-brands that most of us are familiar with. Most of the products can be found at Sephora.
  • Instructions on how to use the products are included.
Cons:
  • If you were expecting more makeup, you might be disappointed, as there was one color cosmetic in this package.
  • The lipgloss included will not cater to every skin tone. It's a light pink shade, so it won't be flattering to deep and dark skin tones.
Price: $29.95, QVC.

8 comments:

  1. I love how the products you get seem to be of better value then other beauty sample ones! I wouldn't mind paying $30 for it! :)

    http://itsjustglamorous.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not subscribed to any monthly's.... this one I would totally do though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds cool! I love the lip color :)
    Merrybellyland777.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the products you recvd but I'm not sure if I would ign up since the test tube was not as versatile as far as the lipgloss. But I will keep an eye on other test tubes others recv and see if maybe their selections improve. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. They ar all great products too bad, it's not available in canada.

    Come visit sometimes... Pericharmed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post dear! very helpful!
    thank you for visiting my blog and for dropping a sweet comment. How would you like to follow each other?

    http://anmari-ish.blogspot.com/2012/09/leopard-print-blue.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always considered joining a subscription service. This one might be the one! I like that you get full size products also, not just trial sizes. Very good review!

    http://notoriousbeautyblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the products you received but I'm not sure if I would sign up since the test tube was not as versatile as far as the lip gloss. But I will keep an eye on other test tubes others rec and see if maybe their selections improve. Thanks for sharing. Visit college paper for best papers.

    ReplyDelete