Monday, September 17, 2012

Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner Review, Photos and Swatches!

Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner

Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner ($15) is a felt-tip liquid eyeliner pen with a long-lasting, no-smudge formula and a glossy finish.

The Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner is available in (5) shades: Olive Green, Brown, Purple, Navy Blue and Black. All shades are available on the Eyeko website, but only Black is sold at Sephora, while the other shades can be purchased online.

I've tried several pen liners from the drugstore, and my favorite has to be Physician's Formula 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner because of the non-fraying, flexible, yet precise tip that doesn't seem to dry out and the overall performance, but it's not the deepest-darkest black, so when I want a very intense liner, I look no further than my Eyeko pen.

The liner is a deep-black with a glossy finish and the tip is firm and comes to a fine point. Although you can create thick or thin lines, I find it much easier to create thicker lines because for the highest amount of pigmentation, pressing it sideways on your lid and sweeping the pen across the eye is the most effective. The tip seems to dry out quickly, so applying the liner straight-on with the tip isn't going to work the best.




Eyeko Skinny Liquid Liner (left) and Physician's Formula Eye Boosting Eyeliner (right). Both liners have a similar glossy finish, but Eyeko is darker and because the tip is large, creates a thicker line.

My main gripe with this pen is that if aren't very skilled at applying liquid eyeliner, and tend to go over the line a few times, this eyeliner might possible cause a bit of frustration.

Give the tube a good shake, and the tip will be wet enough to line your eye. Although it can get very wet, like I already mentioned, it dries out fairly quick, making you have to close the lid and shake the pen again. By that time, the liner on your eyelid has already dried, so you have be sure that when going over the line, you won't disturb the line that is already there. I notice that when my lids are bare, and line my lids with this eyeliner, by the second/third coat, it can lift the previous coats off. This can be avoided if very minimal (to no) pressure is used.

Overall, it's not at all a bad product, but the biggest drawback is how fast the tip dries out. For personal preference, I prefer a tip that is more flexible, a bit smaller and isn't as dry (something like Lancome Artliner) I will not re-purchase.

Have you tried this product? I'd love to hear what you think about it.

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Super black with a semi-glossy finish
  • Dries quickly (which is a pro and con, b/c you don't want a liner to take forever to dry and you don't want it to dry before you're done applying it)
  • Doesn't come off when eyes come in contact with water
  • Long-lasting (for reference, I do not have oily eyelids)
Cons
  • The tip dries out too quickly, causing you have to shake the tube multiple times.
  • Because the tip is fairly large and firm, it can sometimes be difficult to create a thin line.
Price: $15, Sephora.

9 comments:

  1. That is a huge felt tip. I have yet to get into Eyeko products yet but I'm really enjoying your posts on them recently. Gives me more ideas on what to add to my list. Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand you, I tried out this eyeliner too and was totally disappointed! It reminds me too much of a marker on skin, not pretty :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the dark blue in a beauty box, and while I looove the colour, it smudge on me! I had blue up to my temples! lol I have oily skin, so that would explain why it would be long lasting on someone with dry or normal skin but not on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I must give pen liners a try soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this in my birchbox awhile back and found it just OK. The pigmentation was nice, but it did smudge, and strip previous coats when reapplied over the same spot. It's not something I'd have bought myself, but it's not horrible either, so I keep it in my overnight bag for emergencies. All in all, I prefer my Stila Stay All Day liner if I'm going to use a pen liner, nothing beats it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pretty much sums up how I feel as well. It's just OK. It's not bad, and I'll continue using it until it has dried out, but I'll explore other options when it's finished.

      I've had the Stila pen on my "to-buy" list for ages now! Is it that good!?

      Delete
  6. Hrm..now i'm torn between trying this and the Physician's Formula one. I know I NEED a felt tip liquid liner....there are just so many options.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is the Physician's Formula's swatch in Extreme Black or Black?

    I also like both aforementioned liners, but PF's regular black was a little light for me.

    ReplyDelete