Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sleek Milkshake and Minx Pout Paint Review, Swatches and Comparison to OCC Lip Tars!

sleek pout paints review

Sleek Milkshake & Minx Pout Paint

Sleek Pout Paint ($6.49) is an intense lip pigment, with the consistency of a lipgloss, and the pigmentation and finish of a lipstick.

Sleek Pout Paints are available in (11) shades: Minx, Cloud 9, Mauve Over, Lava, Peachy Keen, Rosette, Port, Pinkini, Milkshake, Peek-a-Bloo and Pin up.

I got my hands on two of the shades; Milkshake and Minx. Milkshake is a vibrant coral-pink and Minx is a neutral beige-pink.

Sleek Pout Paints launched at around this time last year, and I remember when everyone was talking about them and comparing them to the very similar OCC Lip Tars. I love my OCC Lip Tars, but admittedly, I reach for my traditional lipsticks before my lip tars because they are more convenient to use.

Sleek Pout Paints and OCC Lip Tars alike need to be applied with a lip brush because the color is so opaque, you only need a small drop to coat your lips. If you don't own a lip brush, you can use any small brush (concealer brush, etc) or the wand of one of your lipglosses.

sleek milkshake minx pout paint

The product literally does apply like paint, as with one coat, the color is completely opaque. Less is more with these especially with the lighter shades, because the color will completely block out your lip color, and the product can look thick on the lips. When the right amount of product is applied, they look perfect!

The product dries down to a semi-matte finish, which I find a bit dull, so I usually layer a lip gloss on top.

Of the two shades I have, Minx is much more natural and is a great nude lip color, and with a touch of pink lipgloss, it looks great for every day. Milkshake on the other hand is very bright (neon) and looks crazy alone, but it looks beautiful when a tiny dot is added to a pink lipgloss.

Like OCC Lip Tars, I find them to be drying on my lips, so a moisturizing lip balm is very necessary prior to application.

The only difference I noticed between the two is that the Sleek Pout Paints are a bit more dense, which leads to less mess. My OCC Lip Tars tend to leak, but the Pout Paints don't. Hooray!

sleek pout paints

Comparisons:
sleek pout paint vs occ lip tar
From left to right: Sleek Milkshake Pout Paint, OCC Divine Lip Tar, Sleek Minx Pout Paint and OCC Hush Lip Tar.

sleek pout paint swatches

sleek milkshake pout paint
 Sleek Milkshake Pout Paint

sleek minx pout paint
Sleek Minx Pout Paint

Overall, these Pout Paints are fun to play around with, and they are a fantastic alternative to OCC Lip Tars. Although they may not be practical for everyone, they are great to keep in your kit if you're a makeup artist, and they are great if you love intense lip colors.

The Round-Up
Pros:
  • Great alternative to OCC Lip Tars which perform the same, for half of the price
  • Incredibly pigmented
  • Will last a long time because you only need such a small amount each time
  • Fun colors
Cons:
  • Have to use with a lip brush - inconvenient for touch-ups
  • Can be drying
  • Can look thick and unnatural if too much is applied
Price: $6.49, Sleek website. For a store locator for UK residents, click here.


17 comments:

  1. I am so happy you did a comparison review on these! I always wondered how they compared to lip tars! Nice post! LOVE IT!


    www.thefitnessfoxx.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the colour milkshake! It looks great on your lips! What is the staying power like? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful on ur lips!!!!

    http://hottheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review and great swatches!!
    Merrybellyland777.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My OCC Lip Tars leak like crazy too, I may have to give the less mess Sleek version a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. both are gorgeous! :) love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the milkshake color, so nice !
    http://christellegblog.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pout Paint looks really interesting. Milkshake and Minx looks really pigmented! Do they last long?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Minx looks really nice. I think I'll be buying that. Thanx for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review! I think I will probably opt for the OCC lip tars if it ever comes down between the two. :P Minx is beautiful though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this review! I've been thinking of these as a cheaper alternative to buying the Lip Tars and wondered if they were a wannabe copy or the real thing! =)

    http://3girlsblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Minx looks gorgeous on you! I should order a few of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to try out "Milkshake"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lip Tars & Pout Paint swatches are always to die for. I could look at them allll daaaaayyyy, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed!
    Very helpful info specifically the last part :) I
    care for such info much. I was looking for this certain info for a
    very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    Look into my web blog - www.theglobe.net

    ReplyDelete