Friday, August 10, 2012

Milani Brow Tint Pen Review, Photos and Swatches!

milani brow tint pen review

Milani Brow Tint Pen

Milani Brow Tint Pen ($5.99) is a quick-drying and long-wearing felt-tip eyebrow pen that is used for filling and shaping the brows. It has a fairly fine point for precise application.

The Milani Brow Tint Pen is available in (2) shades: Natural Taupe and Dark Brown.

Natural Taupe is a light brown that will work well for most light hair colors, while Dark Brown is about one shade deeper of a brown, with an ash-brown/moss green undertone (no red tones at all). Natural Taupe has a warm undertone, without looking too brassy.

The pigmentation is very sheer. The color is buildable to a light-medium, but the color will never reach opaque pigmentation. Because of the sheer color, it's excellent for darkening/adding color to sparse and fine brows.

I like applying Natural Taupe through my brows to deepen them, and go back with Dark Brown to areas that need a little more definition. The result is very natural, clean brows.

milani brow tint pens

milani brow tint pen before after

I find them to last well on their own, but I always make sure to apply the brow product before applying my foundation to avoid build up on the tip of the pen. For oily skin, you may find that using a clear primer (such as Nars Smudge-proof Primer or UD Primer Potion) on your brows prior to application helpful, or dusting a transparent powder across the brows to pick up excess oil which can break up the product later in the day.

milani brow tint pen review





Swatches:
milani brow tint pen swatches
I swatched both shades three times. As you can see, you can achieve a very fine line, as well as a thick line with the brush tip. The thickest swatch is two layers. Natural Taupe is on the left, and Dark Brown is on the right.

Overall, I think this product is a great alternative to the more expensive brands. There aren't so many alternatives there for brow pens; some include: Anastasia of Beverly Hills Brow Pen ($21), Suqqu Eyebrow Liquid Pen ($25) and GOSH Long Lasting Brow Pen ($7.98). I've always wondered about brow pens, and am happy I finally can say I've tried one. So far, I really like these, but time will tell as I continue using them. I'll keep you updated!

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Easy to use.
  • Pigmentation is fairly sheer, for a very natural appearance - great for darkening fine and sparse brows.
  • Dark Brown works perfectly well for my dark brows without making my brows look too dark or overpowering.
  • Long-lasting. 
Cons:
  • Because the product doesn't get quite opaque, it might not be the best product for shaping thin or non-existent brows. If you like full, prominent brows, you might want to look into a more pigmented product such as Maybelline Define-a-Brow. 
  • Hard to find in stores - I've been looking for this product for months (thanks to a recommendation from one of my readers) and I'm never able to find it. I finally found it at a CVS with a full Milani display (my local CVS only stocks about half of the products).
Price: $5.99, CVS or wherever Milani products are sold.

24 comments:

  1. This looks great! I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one product I would love to get my hands on but they may be a big problem where I live (Canada). They look like they would work perfect for my brow needs:)

    Sara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine on well.ca which is an online store that sells drugstore makeup at an affordable price (compared to most drugstores like shoppers or rexall). They ship super fast and it's only $2. Otherwise, you could try to find it at Walmart too!

      Delete
    2. I bought mine from the Milani website. Not recommended for Canada, my $6 eyebrow pen turned into a just about $30 pen with shipping and handling. I haven't received it yet either and I ordered it almost 3 weeks ago. Probably going to have to pay for delivery once it comes to the door. Couldn't find these anywhere in Alberta as well.

      Delete
    3. Sara: try Loblaws, Superstore or Walmart for Milani products.

      Delete
  3. Looks great, but your brows look pretty good on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really natural, love the shape of your eyebrow !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good! Maybe I'll try them out! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I juuuuuust almost bought one of these. Glad i finally have a review to go off of now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never seen them in stores! They look interesting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reviews.

    my blog is also about reviews on beauty products!~.
    Check them out and happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review, might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!
    Your brows look already perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, but I think I will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dark brown looks too dark for me, and the taupe is way too red. Taupe is usually lighter with no red undertones. I`ll have to skip this I guess....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fine line; perfect for drawing individual hairs. I've been browsing around for something with such a fine tip. This will go on my list for when I finish my current products.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i like my eyebrows a little more define

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is why i love your blog. i learn about new products. definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I love these! I wonder where I could find them in Canada. I have naturally sparse eyebrows..when I pluck one, half my brow is gone. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks interesting! i'm obsessed with my eyebrows, so i'll have to search for this one. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is nice and cheap. I just bought K-palette brow pen from Japan. They're very good as well. Color is a bit lighter and very easy to handle. I have thick brows and use it to "fill-in" the gaps in between.

    ReplyDelete
  19. a cheap brown pen! :D i will definitely try this out!

    ReplyDelete