Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Make Up For Ever #5 Nip Slip HD Blush Review, Photos and Swatches!

make up for ever hd blush #5 nip slip

Make Up For Ever #5 Nip Slip HD Blush

Make Up For Ever #5 Nip Slip HD Blush ($26) is a matte, neutral mid-tone pink. Because it has a good balance of cool and warm tones, #5 is a flattering pink on most skin tones. It has a little bit of vibrancy to the color, but it's also not too "barbie doll". It warms up quite nicely on my warm, medium skin tone.

If you aren't familiar with Make Up For Ever HD Blushes; they are a lightweight, yet dense cream that is dispensed in a pump tube. The formula is intensely pigmented, and a little goes a long way.

My favorite application method is using a duo-fiber stippling brush. I usually pump a small amount of product on a clean surface (I sometimes use the lid of one of my freshly sanitized mirrored compacts) and dip the brush in the product with light tapping motions to evenly coat the ends of the bristles. Then, stipple it on my cheeks, and blend upward until blended. You kind of have to work with it quickly, as it does dry pretty fast.

The formula might take a little getting use to at first, but after using it a few times, it should be a breeze.

mufe hd blush 5

mufe hd blush swatch #5 Nip Slip
#5 Nip Slip

I'm indifferent when it comes to the packaging. I like it, but I don't love it. It's a nice idea overall to place a cream blush in a dispensable container because the problem with cream blushes is that they aren't very sanitary (bacteria needs moisture to grow), sometimes you might use your fingers, sometimes you might use a brush, and almost always the surface of your cream brushes somehow has attracted lint, fibers, dust, etc. Also, many times the surface will dry out. The packaging for the MUFE HD Blushes eliminates all of that and keeps the product inside clean and fresh.

The only problem is that convenience-wise, the standard cream blush compact packaging works better.

Overall though, I am a fan of these blushes, and will continue to try additional shades. Despite them sometimes being a pain to use, it can be overlooked because of the beautiful color selection, bold pigmentation and long lasting power.

Comparison swatches from left to right: MUFE HD #5 Nip Slip, MAC Fleur Power, MAC Dollymix, Physician's Formula Happy Booster Blush in Natural, Physician's Formula Matchmaker Blush in Natural.

Although it doesn't look like it by the swatches, but on the cheeks, I can't tell the difference between MUFE HD #5, MAC Fleur Power and Physician's Formula Matchmaker Blush in the shade Natural. Nip Slip turns into a warm pink once it hits my cheeks (all pinks do because of the yellow tones in my skin), which kind of bums me out, but it's still a color I really love.

I've also reviewed #10 Skinny Dipping in the past, so if you're interested, check out that review as well!

Have you tried the HD blushes? Are you a fan?

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Very pigmented color   a small amount goes a long way.
  • Will work well on a wide variety of skin tones for a natural, flushed pink.
  • Dries quickly without leaving the cheeks feeling tacky.
  • Long-lasting; better lasting power than many.
  • Nice, lightweight packaging for travel, sanitary and keeps product fresh.
Cons:
  • Can sometimes be difficult to work with, mostly because the actual formula isn't very wet, and it dries quickly.
  • You have to be very careful and dispense the product with a very light hand as it can dispense too much product.
  • A bit expensive, yet it should last a long time with daily use. 
Price: $26, Sephora.

14 comments:

  1. This color looks so beautiful! Love the pigmentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful ! I've never tried cream blush but I think I'm going to !

    http://christellegblog.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty color! I always want to try some cream blushes

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds lovely, have been wanting to try these out for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! One of my favorite cream blushes are from MUFE. I have #11, or #13.. one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..this is quite interesting! the color is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this in number 6 which is more of a corally shade.. I do really like it but like you said, it needs work and sometimes I'm just too lazy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love Make Up For Ever's products, they always look SO amazing! Pigmentation of these are wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well pigmented! The blue tone of this pink blush may not suit me. I'm eyeing on the Physician Formula swatch. Very pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm kinda scared to get cream blushes cuz I'm very oily. So I always think that it would just slide off my face, but I think I will get this one next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tried these and while I love certain colors, the formula tends to cling to my skin when it's dry? It's a shame because there are some shades that really call my name.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like HD blushes!
    http://evdokiastergiopoulou.blogspot.gr/2013/05/make-up-for-ever-hd-blush-make-up-for.html

    ReplyDelete