Thursday, August 2, 2012

L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter Review, Photos and Swatches!

L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter

L'Oreal Magic Lumi Concealer/Corrector ($12.95) is a liquid concealer/highlighter in a clickable pen - similar to to the concept of the YSL Touche Eclat. This pen is meant to highlight/brighten areas of the face more than it is to conceal blemishes, so if you're looking for a heavy duty cover-up, this won't be the correct product for you.

The L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter is available in (4) shades: Fair, Light and Medium and Deep.

*You may notice that the packaging of my tube reads "concealer/corrector", so I phoned L'Oreal to double check if the concealer and highlighter are the same product. It is indeed the same exact product, but they have changed the name to "highlighter" rather "concealer". I'm guessing they didn't want it to sound misleading as a concealer, being it doesn't cover much.

I like applying the highlighter to the inner corners of my eyes and along the bridge of my nose. It can also be used on the cheekbones, brow bone and cupids-bow. What's really great about this highlighter, is that it's not shimmery and stark against the skin. It's sheer and subtle, and will do it's job of bringing light to the areas of where it's applied.



The reason it's different fro a standard concealer is because of it's light, blendable texture and sheer pigment. You might be able to acheive a similar look with a lighter concealer, but you'd want to make sure to use a light coverage liquid/cream concealer that is pink-based (pink brightens) or peach-based for medium-tan skin. You can mix it with a drop of liquid/cream illuminator or pigment for a illuminating effect.

Here's a comparison to YSL Touche Eclat #1. L'Oreal is on the left, YSL is on the right.

Now unless companies start making these concealer pens the size of a mascara tube, they will never be a very good value for the money you pay, and the amount of product you get. The L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter contains 0.05 oz, so at $12.95, that is $259 per ounce. The YSL Touche Eclat contains double the amount (0.10 oz) for $40, which is $400 per ounce. BUT, you can get Touche Eclat on Amazon for around $22. As with many products, you have to use caution when purchasing online, because sadly, any popular high-end cosmetic item, there are counterfeits. (here is an article)

Furthermore, the L'Oreal version is cheaper overall, so it's a nice alternative for those on a budget, but I personally favor the YSL Touche Eclat, so I don't think I'll be re-purchasing this product.

Here's a closer look at my eyeshadow. I was wearing one of my favorite eyeshadow palettes; the Dior 5 Golds Quint, and some gold glitter on my top lash-line.



The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Provides a very subtle highlight that can be used all over the face without being noticeably detected.
  • Easy to use; convenient packaging.
Cons:
  • Expensive for the amount provided.
  • For those looking for a noticeable/shimmery highlight, this may fall below your expectations 
  • Doesn't provide coverage for concealing
Price: $10.99 - $12.99 at your local drugstore. Prices will vary based on location.


29 comments:

  1. Looks nice ! wanna try it !

    http://christellegblog.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good but the price is a bit much. I love your eye makeup in these pics, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks lovely! i just saw missglamorazzi raving about this in her new video, so I'm interested to see if I prefer it to my touche eclat x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natty - your product reviews are the most thorough and the best on the blogosphere...I always check here before I buy LOL!

    Loved your tip on alternatives to this (lighter concealer mixed with illuminator). How do you think this product compares to the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer? I have the pinky shade of this and mix it with my under eye concealer for a brighter look, but I probably won't repurchase because I like Benefit's Eye Bright pencil better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea... They are kinda pricy for drugstore.... Thanks for the review:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. keep eyeing these when I go to the drugstore. I thought it was going to be a pretty brightening concealer but now I see that it's more of a light highlight. I may try it just for the heck of it....thanks for the great product reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good.

    http://purejeanius.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm nice! I need something light but with good coverage for my dark circles..it's sounds perfect ( and a lot cheaper then magic pen YSL, yay! )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if I would fork out $40 for YSL anymore. The price for Magic Lumi is very attractive but I don't like the packaging. It looks rather tacky but it does illuminate as it states.

    I love your gold etod, Natty. Especially the lengthening mascara you have on...really goes with the gold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. u make me want to try it !!! =)

    www.makeupbydulce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost bought this but now I'm glad I didn't. I woud have been upset that it wasn't a shimmery highlighter.YSL is so pricey, I just can never get myself to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your eyeshadow looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks really nice!! great review!^^

    x
    http://ilovemakeup68.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Natty, of course you know how to rock this highlighter for your eyes, but I doubt I could pull something like that off. I have oily skin :( BTW, is that your Bobbi Brown burnt sugar shadow that you're wearing? If it is gotta really check this one out in store... Looks sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks okay but what i really love is your mascara :D

    stereomindbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice! will definitely try this highlighter- thanks natty! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love highlighter pens like this and touche eclat, really easy to apply :) The gold shadow looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! your eyeshadow is amazing!

    dearmakeup-bunny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What mascara did you use? Love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the review. I was looking for a touch up pen with some coverage. This one may not suit me. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Could you do a tutorial on the eye look or a similar look with products that are available. I love this eye look.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks nice. I don't use concealers too often, but I am trying to make myself, for a more flawless face. This looks great around the eye.

    That shadow looks amazing on your eyes. What shadow(s) did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have you tried the Magic Lumi foundation yet?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I might try this being that I refuse to pay the outrageous prices for some of the higher end highlighting products, and this one seems more reasonable. Your makeup looks amazing, and your eyes are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok now i want to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really want to give this a go because it seems like a cheaper version of the YSL touche eclat x

    www.andrewjamesblog.com

    ReplyDelete