Sunday, March 18, 2012

L'Oreal Cherubic Magicsmooth Souffle Blush Review, Photos and Swatches!

L'Oreal Magicsmooth Souffle Blush in Cherubic

At the start of 2011, L'Oreal launched their Magicsmooth Souffle Makeup, a whipped, airy mousse foundation promising to create a poreless, and flawless finish. It took a year for L'Oreal to add a few blushes to the line, launching the L'Oreal Magicsmooth Souffle Blush at the start of this year. 

There are four (4) shades in total: Celestial (pale pink), Cherubic (warm rose), Angelic (warm peach-pink) and Plume (dusty plum).


All of the shades are very subtle and won't deliver intense color. If you like very light, neutral shades to add just a hint of color to your cheeks, you may enjoy the color selection.

From the swatches I've seen on other blogs, I took the strongest liking to Cherubic - a natural, dusty rose.

Like the foundation, this blush has the same mousse texture that is suppose to glide on the skin with ease, and diffuse into an ultra-soft, natural finish.

I tried using a stippling brush like I do with most of my cream blushes, and it worked fine, but my favorite brush to use is the Real Techniques Blush Brush. It's a tapered, domed synthetic brush with ultra soft bristles. Just a tiny tap of the product on the tip of the brush, and I'll swirl it into my cheeks for a little bit of color.

I've been wearing it on the days where I don't want my cheek color to overpower my eye makeup (if I'm wearing a lot on my eyes) and on days where I've gone bronzer happy and still need a little color on my cheeks without looking like I'm wearing too much makeup.

L'Oreal Magicsmooth Souffle Blush in Cherubic

I'll admit, I was a little nervous to try this product because the only reviews that I read for this product weren't all that positive. (The Gloss Goss called it a "product fail" and Makeup and Beauty Blog rated the blushes a C+, saying that you'll need almost perfect skin to pull them off.)

Many of the reviews complained about a shimmer, but I didn't find shimmer present in Cherubic. Upon close inspection you may find a tiny sparkle or two, but nothing at all noticeable (which makes me wonder why it's there in the first place).

I didn't care at all that this blush might possibly be too sheer, because I actually like products that you can actually go a little hand-heavy without worrying about looking like a clown. Not to mention you're able to finish the product up faster (which I see as a good thing! I feel accomplished when I finish a product!) I tend to use those products more and shy away from products where you have to use the lightest touch and you'll never end up finishing (like many of my Nars blushes).

To my surprise, it's not at all as sheer as I expected. It actually has pretty good pigmentation and is very buildable with an additional layer. I'm assuming they'd work the best on lighter skintones, as on Karen from Makeup and Beauty Blog (Medium-tan, MAC NC42), Celestial and Angelic looked non-existent on her cheeks. 

With my Real Techniques Blush Brush, it blends so well across my cheeks and doesn't leave a harsh edge. Just a very natural color, with a very natural finish.

MAC Blushbaby and Cubic are a couple of my go-to blush colors, and I think I prefer this blush over both of them. It's a little more natural than Blushbaby and a little more pigmented than Cubic. It also warms up to my skintone better than the other two.

Lastly, it seemed to last well on my cheeks throughout the day. Of course the color is completely gone by bed-time, but it's still present mid-day, which is always a good thing.

L'Oreal Magicsmooth Souffle Blush in Cherubic

Here is the blush blended with my fingers on the back of my hand.

I'm guessing these blushes would work best on those with normal skin. They may possibly have too much slip to them for those with very oily skin and can possibly accentuate dryness for those with dry skin. If you enjoy mousse products in general, and are a fan of Maybelline Dream Matte Blushes, these may be worth a try. I think Cherubic is probably the best shade of the four. 

They are a little expensive, at around $13 each, but if you catch a good sale, it'd be worth a try!

On a side note: I really like the packaging. It's actually what drew me into wanting it in the first place. Isn't that funny? 

Have you tried any of these blushes? What'd ya think?

23 comments:

  1. Pretty! Now if only L'oreal didn't test on animals. Although they're apparently stopping next year. Will have to wait and see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea they were planning to stop! Wonderful news.

      Delete
    2. Then you should really stop using any and all cosmetic or medicinal products.
      Read this: http://beautyandthebullshit.blogspot.com/2011/01/cruelty-free-makeup-yeah-right.html
      It was written by a woman who once worked for and now hates a company she refers to as L'Ucifer(hope you can guess who that is).

      Delete
  2. I would love to get these, but I dont buy Loreal for the same reason. Testing on animals is a no go. But unfortunately even MAC is secretly testing. Just checked the cruelty free kit blog. Hopefully Loreal iwll stop soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found out about MAC too. I already stopped supporting them months ago because of SOPA and now this, aaah.

      Delete
  3. Cool, beautiful color , I have mixed skin, will for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I weird for thinking you could use that as a lip product?

    http://ohtheendlesspossibilities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much appreciate your thorough review! I've never tried any of the "whipped" products, they seemed a bit intimidating to me. Odd isn't it? LOL I would have skipped over this entirely, but I'm interested now! Cherubic looks like it would give a nice rosy glow. What are your thoughts on the foundations from this line?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised at the price point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely feel that the price should be cut in half. Its too expensive for the drugstore.

      Delete
  7. I looks amazing, I love the blushes! and the texture of this blush looks amazing! thnaks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I am going to buy this only because the color is really pretty and the consistency looks pretty interesting. I really don't wear cream blushes but this looks cool.


    http://herdollface.blogspot.com/
    http://herdollface.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have never seen this before! looks great!

    http://www.hellomissniki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. didnt like it
    color is too sheer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review, I haven't seen these in stores yet

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have oily skin and I like these blushes! I have Cherubic and Angelic. They're not like my favorite ever, but they're pretty nice, definitely better than a C+ for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review...I'm so excited to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a pretty color! the texture looks...fun...if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  15. cosmetics hardly go on sale here unless theyre extremely cheap brands.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only have 1 cream blush but i tend to stay away from them because i feel its so hard to apply

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a gorgeous color!
    http://prettyinpiink89.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review and such a pretty color!

    http://www.beauty-twist.com/

    ReplyDelete