Friday, March 30, 2012

Illamasqua Mislead Eye Liner Cake Review, Photos and Swatches!

illamasqua Mislead Eyeliner Cake Review

Illamasqua Eye Liner Cake in Mislead

Have you ever heard of "cake liner" before? The first time I ever heard of it was several years ago when I became interested in learning more about theatrical makeup (Ben Nye, Graftobian, Cinema Secrets, etc) and came across Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner - well, I never got around to trying it, but it's a product that's always sat in the back of my memory of products to try one day.

Cake Eyeliner is pretty much the only type of liner I haven't tried before. I've for the most part tried all of the liner options out there - pencil, cream, gel, liquid, kajal, powder, you name it. My preferred choices on most days are gel and liquid.

When I stumbled across Illamasqua Eye Liner Cake ($23), I decided I had to try it, despite there not being too many reviews out there.

Illamasqua Eye Liner Cake is a pressed powder formula, that when comes in contact with water/liquid, becomes an intense liquid-liner.  

There are three (3) colors in total: Mislead (black), Zeal (pine green) and Danger (navy). I chose Mislead, because one could never own enough black liners, right? haha

You can use water to mix the product with, but when using water, I notice the color isn't as vibrant and the lasting power isn't as good. There are of course other options in order for it to last longer - such as MAC Fix Spray, Illamasqua Sealing Gel, Benefit SheLaq, Visine, etc. I usually use Visine and it works great.

illamasqua mislead

I usually pour a couple drops of Visine on a clean palette, wet the tip of my application brush (usually a thin eyeliner brush or angled brush) and run the brush a few times over the powder to get a good amount of product on the brush. Then, apply it to the lash-line. It does dry fairly quick, so I like to make sure my brush is pretty damp to avoid going back and forth to apply more liquid and product mid-application.

If you aren't satisfied with your line, or if you'd like to deepen you line, you can go over the area again. The liner will dry to a matte finish, and it will not budge.

If you have oily eyelids, I'd highly suggest priming your lids and applying an eyeshadow for a base. On days where I don't want to wear shadow, I'll still prime my lids and apply a matte, flesh-tone eyeshadow, such as MAC Brule as a base and the liner won't budge.

Because this product activates when it comes in contact with water/liquid, it will budge if you come in contact with wetness. I wouldn't recommend wearing this liner on grueling hot days or with vigorous exercise, as sweat will make the liner wear off a bit.

I'd like to mention that this product is meant to use wet.  There is absolutely no color payoff when attempting to use it dry. It's not like a typical pigmented eyeshadow that can be used wet or dry for those hoping that you can use this product as a black eyeshadow.

Here is the liner swatched on my hand using Visine as my mixing agent.
illamasqua mislead swatch

And, here it is applied to my primed eyelids.
Illasmasqua Mislead Eyeliner

Illamasqua Mislead Eyeliner on eyes

Like I already mentioned, when the liner dries, it's not going to budge, so if you want more of a "smokey" or smudged look, I'd recommend using a small smudge brush for application and try not to saturate the brush in liquid and product for a slightly drier application. It works pretty well.
illamasqua eyeliner cake on eyes
I often like having a very deep, smudged, matte black line, but steer away from black shadows because they can get very messy (MAC Carbon is the King of fall-out). This product gives me exactly what I want.

I also really like the compact, and the fact that it has a mirror, and knowing that the product will never dry out! You can literally use this stuff to the very end. 

I haven't used the product enough to really state if it's a must-have product for me, but I will continue using it and update you all of my overall thoughts about the product. So far, I'm really liking it.

Price: $23, Sephora.

Have you ever used cake liner? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

22 comments:

  1. I'm so surprised at how opaque the line becomes! I've never tried cake line before, but I've tried a wet (with water brush) with some of Bobbi Brown's darker eyeshadows and I really liked the effect and lasting power. Perhaps I should take the next step and go towards cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I really like the effect of this. I also like, as you say, that it will never dry out. That is one of my biggest gripes with gel eyeliners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! My most recent cream liner purchase in January (YSL Eyeliner Effect Faux Cils) is already drying out - and I make sure it's tightly closed every time. I suppose I can purchase MAC Mixing Medium or Glycerin to make them creamy again, but it's just an extra hassle.

      Delete
  3. That is super opaque. Like you, I've tried every type of eyeliner out there except this but I have been curious to try it. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great - I like to layer it to get a very black line. You could really create a deep, dark smokey eye with it. It just requires a little bit of patience.

      You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  4. Another great alternative black eyeshadow is NYX black. I just recently got it and the quality is amazing for $3.99 from cherryculture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I have Nyx Black and I think its great! I should really use it more often.

      Delete
  5. I've never tried cake liner before. Looks really nice. plus I hate how my gel liner begins to dry out and doesn't have the same consistency as when I first buy it. This is a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, is it just me or does Carbon tend to look more green sometimes :/ Not a true black at all! I really like the concept of a cake liner. We don't have Illamasqua in Canada but I'm sure some other companies have cake liners as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that too, especially if I use it over a fleshtone base (such as mac bare canvas paint).. You almost have to wear it over a black base for it to be a true black. I know Laura Mercier has one, but I haven't checked the reviews..

      Delete
  7. Ill need to look more into it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you do a tutorial on how to apply your eyeliner? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember my grandma using cake liner as well as one for mascara. She would spritz water into the pan, and scrape a mascara wand across before applying it, and fanning her lashes dry with her hands. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. <3 Thanks so much for reviewing this! I've definitely been thinking about this but was worried by the lack of reviews. I would have had no idea about the need to use a liquid with this, so thanks for that. I'll wait for your follow-up before picking this up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love eyeliner cakes, I didn´t know Illamasqua had one, I will check it out for sure, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this has an interesting concept to it...but my eyes water all day I need it to last me all day long, I would try it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow this stuff looks great! im so excited! i bought a few illamasqua products from sephora yesterday! i ordered them online and cannot wait to get them!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great black, reminds me of my Benefit Babe cake liner. I've had the Illamasqua Eyebrow cake in GAZE for a few years now and I love it. I bought it from their site before they came to Sephora stores, along with the Sealing Gel (which is awesome!) It's easy to correct a mistake but this stuff dries so darn fast it's best to keep q-tips on deck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I'll have to get this! I usually steer clear of using black eyeshadow, especially Carbon, because minutes later it's all over my face or smudged out everywhere. Way too messy but I like how this won't budge. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I interesting your blogs i really like the concept this is a great alternative thanks for sharing.
    _____
    Murano Glass

    ReplyDelete
  17. never used or had heard of cake liner prior to this post. seems good. will have to try it. btw your rightyou canthave too much black eyeliner =)

    http://www.starrlooks.blogspot.com
    http://www.4everwhatever.blogspot.com
    http://www.zazzle.com/Lyrik91?rf=238690416773667469
    http://www.zazzle.com/DecemberSpeaks?rf=238690416773667469

    ReplyDelete
  18. Though I think this liner is pretty good and dark and has a good impact on the eye...one has to know the mixing technique and get it right else the consistency may look different.

    ReplyDelete