Thursday, March 1, 2012

L'Oreal Infallible Advanced Never Fail Makeup Foundation Review.

L'Oreal Infallible Advanced Never Fail Makeup

I'm sure you all know by now that I'm a foundation addict. I love trying new foundations, whether it be drugstore (I don't discriminate!) or high-end, I'm totally interested.

I recently picked up L'Oreal Infallible Foundation on my recent trip to CVS because I had some extra-cash to blow that was ready to expire (literally - it was around 11:30 PM and it expires at midnight).

I've tried L'Oreal's Infallible Lipgloss in the past and √ Liked it, Recently tried their new Infallible Eyeshadows and √ Loved it. So naturally, I became curious to see if their other products were just as good.

L'Oreal Infallible Foundation claims to provide 18 hours of flawless, fade-proof and shine-free coverage, while withstanding heat and humidity and providing sun protection (SPF 20). It's also supposedly ideal for all skin types.

There are fourteen (14) shades to choose from: Soft Ivory, Classic Ivory, Natural Ivory, Nude Beige, Natural Buff, Creamy Natural, Natural Beige, Buff Beige, Sand Beige, True Beige, Sun Beige, Classic Tan, Soft Sable and Cocoa.

I chose Nude Beige, which is alright, but it's not the best match for my skintone. It's a little too neutral (gray) for me, but it's workable. It seems like a good match, but when blended, it appears slightly darker.


Alright, so the consistency of the product is pretty nice. I was expecting it to be thick, considering many say it has pretty good coverage, but it's actually on the thin side (not runny or watery - somewhat comparable to Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation). It's definitely thinner than Maybelline Superstay Foundation and Revlon Colorstay Foundation. It's light and creamy and blends nicely. Just make sure to give it a good shake before you apply it.

READ MORE!
L'Oreal Infallible Advanced Never Fail Makeup

The coverage is a light medium, that is buildable to a higher-medium coverage, but it never fully reaches a full coverage. I have a couple red blemishes (Thank you, Infallible) on my cheek and it doesn't conceal the redness 100%. I'd like to mention that it builds very nicely. While testing out the coverage, I actually built three thin layers and it didn't look cakey. Two coats is pretty good coverage for me though. One light coat with a standard flat foundation brush, and an additional with a stippling foundation brush. I'll make sure my face is primed/moisturized, so the foundation won't adhere to any dry areas.

The finish is semi-matte, with a slight radiance. I don't feel the need to set with a powder, but after a few hours I'll get a little shiny, so especially for those who are prone to shine, powdering is probably a good idea.

I don't find the staying power to be very good though for a foundation that states to last for 18 hours. There are extremely mixed reviews for the wear time - some say it lasts for 12 hours, some say it merely lasts 3 hours. On my skin, this foundation fades a bit within 5 hours and has faded considerably after 8 hours. It's definitely not the worst, it's pretty average for a drugstore foundation, but I had higher expectations for it. Maybelline Superstay definitely beats the wear time in my experience with the two.

So here comes the bad news. It broke me out. And I mean, it broke me out like crazy. I look like a hormonal teenager. After wearing it for one day, I woke up with several pimples on both cheeks, in my hairline, above my eyebrows and even a nice large on one of my ears. WTH!? I think this is the first pimple I've had on my ear in my life.

I think this is a foundation you'll either love or hate. Unfortunately, I can't say I love it, and I won't be wearing it again due to the break-outs and the not-so-great color match. I think the claims for this foundation are a little too large. Otherwise, it's not all that bad.

PROS: This foundation has a light texture with easy blendability, a good medium coverage and a pretty nice finish. The color selection is decent (14 shades), that caters to light, medium and dark skintones.
CONS: Although I don't find this foundation to be at all cakey, it can look very unnatural if too much is applied. This foundation claims to be shine-proof, but I experienced shine in a short amount of time and my skin right now is actually on the drier to normal side. Also, the wear-time doesn't come close to it's claims. It claims to last for 18 hours, but I'd say 8 at best - which is pretty average. The biggest con is that it broke me out badly. I haven't had a product break me out this bad in years. Lastly, I purchased this for $14.99 at CVS, which I think is a joke for a drugstore foundation.
PACKAGING: The packaging is great. It comes in a lightweight glass bottle with a pump dispenser. No messy hands here!
OVERALL: Your mileage will vary with this foundation. I would say it's mostly ideal for those looking for a medium coverage with normal to combination skin, as the semi-matte finish can accentuate dry skin, and the shine that appears within a few hours can be bothersome to those with oily skin. I've read several reviews and they are extremely mixed. There are those with dry, normal, oily and acne-prone skin that love it - and there are those that hate it. I would of course forewarn those with sensitive or acne-prone skin to take precaution, as this foundation can cause breakouts. 


I'm really curious to know if any of you tried this foundation. Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

24 comments:

  1. wow just came across your blog!!! so informative & cool! :) really really like it!!! definitely following you!
    would love if you took a look at my blog & tell me what you think!
    i'd be more than happy if you followed back :)
    xx love from london,

    http://pulcinellata.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      I'm following your amazing blog now! <3

      Delete
  2. Awww too bad it didn't work out for you, it seems pretty on the pic. I couldn't help but laugh when you mentioned an ear pimple... WTH indeed! lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coverage is pretty nice. It's not all that bad of a foundation, but definitely not for me. haha, I know right!?

      Delete
  3. Did you apply any of this to your ears? What you described almost sounds like a hair product that might have caused the breakout. Some do that to my normally clear skin too like in my hairline or neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, usually with the residue left on my brush I blend the color down my neck and ears so it all matches.

      Delete
  4. I was actually going to buy this to try it out because the bottle kind of resembles Bourjois healthy mix foundation (which I love).. good thing I did not buy this. It's awsome that you've started including before pics :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. always loving your reviews!!

    Please check my Urban Decay giveaway at tzeyien89.blogspot.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to read this. One of my favorite Youtubers (Katersoneseven) uses this foundation, and I love how her make up looks. SO natural.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried this but I get curious everytime I pass by this foundation stand in the drugstore. I think I will pass since I have a newfound love for MAC's Face and Body. In other news I am a new follower and am surprised I just now found your blog! I am loving reading your older posts! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Natty! Love that you showed your bare skin vs. skin with foundation applied!

    http://beauty-twist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! $14.99 is alot, although I paid $11.99 (but I had a coupon) for Neutrogena healthy skin which btw I love! I always love your foundation reviews bc I LOVE foundation also, never leave home w/o it!

    come check out my blog!
    http://nyorkeratheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This provides amazing coverage! My mom use to use this back in the day::)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this review! :)

    Erin
    http://alohafromwyoming.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the coverage. Too bad it's fake looking. I've never used this before, but I'm sure there are better out there. Seattle Beauty and Fashion - Girlie Blog Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wore this foundation years ago and I remember liking how it looked on me, but it did fade quickly. Funny, but I ALSO had unexplained ear pimples around that time period haha! I assumed it was caused by a hair product, but I bet it was the foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bah. I was thinking this would be more promising but it sounds wrong for my skin type.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how your always reviewing drugstore foundations :) I've tried many in the past, and they never really worked for me- so I've stuck to higher end formulations. Finally they're releasing some decent foundations :)

    I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog and have been following your recs for awhile! Too bad about the Infallible.You should really try the Visible Lift Serum Absolute foundation. Its got great reviews on MUA (4.0!) and its so much better for the skin. Let me know if you end up getting and reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately it broke me out too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the 16hr version was much better, but it still didnt last 16hrs. With the 16hr version it had good coverage, easy application, natural looking color. But when they changed it to the 18hr it was terrible, it was harder to apply, dried too fast, unnatural looking. When the 18hr dried it looked darker somewhat orange. And it didnt last 18hrs either. By the way I am a guy and with the 16hr version of this product no one noticed that I was wearing makeup unless I used too much. Loreal should have stuck with the 16hr formula.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the foundation that I've been using everyday and I really like it. I'm curious to see what True Match is like though so I'm thinking of getting that one next. Although I've just found out that a new Infallible foundation is being released. I wonder what that will be like!

    www.yazzyscorner.blogspot.com
    Yazzy xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just switched to this foundation a few days ago after reading some positive reviews, love it so far, works great for me, works especially well with some powder on top to set the look. I find so far it lasts me through an entire work day just fine. After years of trying a variety of foundations, this one is my fav so far!

    ReplyDelete