Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Essence Get Big! Lashes Volume Boost Mascara Review

 Essence Get Big! Volume Boost Volume Mascara


Essence Get Big! Volume Boost Volume Mascara is one of Essence's newest mascaras. It claims to provide "density and abundance with every application" that won't clump or feel heavy on your lashes. The large brush design is said to reach even the tiniest lashes.


I've tried a couple of Essence's mascaras in the past - Lash Mania Mascara (meh) and their Multi-Action Mascara, which I actually think is pretty good.

They are very inexpensive - I don't think any of them cost over $4. So it's not a big investment if you wanna test out a few of them, or if you're just plain pressed for cash and don't feel like spending a lot on a mascara.

One thing I'm not crazy about is that the mascaras aren't sealed - I'm not sure if it's how they are sold everywhere, but at ULTA, none of them are sealed, and I'm sure people are opening them all day long, thus drying them out. Regardless, for a couple of bucks, I'm willing to give them a try.

I was drawn to the Get Big! Lashes Mascara because of the big honkin' tube and large, fluffy brush. For whatever reason, I'm drawn to trying out mascaras with huge wands even though they are typically ridiculously inconvenient to apply.

  Essence Get Big! Volume Boost Volume Mascara (wearing three coats)

READ MORE!
In my experience, mascaras that are labeled as "volumizing" mascaras typically have wetter formulas. I was expecting the same for this mascara, but it isn't very wet. I'm not sure if that's due to the mascara not being properly sealed, or if that's just the way it is.

I was really pumped for this mascara, and thought it was going to give me super big, volumized, faux-effect lashes. After applying one coat, the mascara looked extremely natural.

Several coats later, a decent amount of volume is achievable, but I was expecting much better. This mascara builds volume without much clumping, and provides no lengthening whatsoever. I know it doesn't claim to lengthen, so I can't really complain.

The results are nice for a standard mascara, not really a voluminous one.

On a side note, it keeps my lashes curled all day, which is always a plus. It also keeps them somewhat soft - no crunch. Additionally, it doesn't flake or smudge.
 Essence Get Big! Volume Boost Volume Mascara

Left: Three coats of mascara, Right: No mascara.

Three coats of mascara (eyes closed)

Three coats of mascara (eyes opened)
Not too impressive, right?

So it's no YSL Faux Cils, but it's still not too bad for $2.99. For the record though, I won't be repurchasing this mascara. I'll be testing out my other options! ;)


 You can find Essence at your local ULTA store or online at ulta.com.

34 comments:

  1. I love trying different drugstore/inexpensive mascaras too! I suggest checking out Hard Candy Lashaholic. It's pretty decent for $6 and comes in a box (at least at my Walmart) so it's probably more sanitary.

    P.S. You look gorgeous in the face pic - what's on your cheeks? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be sure to check it out!

      I actually have a lipstick on my cheeks! I used Wet n Wild Mega Last Matte Lipstick in Dollhouse Pink. I smeared some on my hand and used a stippling brush to apply it. Awesome color that lasts all day! I also have Chanel Bronze Universel all over my face and Dior Amber Diamond as a highlight. Ty so much!

      Delete
  2. P.S. For crazy faux-looking lashes for a bit more $$, i suggest Diorshow Maximizer + Benefit's They're Real! mascara. The MUA at Sephora used both on me and the result was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! Prob won't be purchasing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look absolutely stunning Natalie in this picture! The mascara is nothing special but for that price its not that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Natty you look Middle eastern in this photo...so exotic & gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so gorgeous!!! I need to try this mascara.
    ~Jazmin

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look BEAUTIFUL! what's on your lips? Beautiful color! I need it on my lips! ;)

    Check out my lil blog if you'd like! I got my influenster love vox box today. Check out what I got! :) ox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      It's Wet n Wild Mega Matte Lipstick in Don't Blink Pink with NYX Mega Shine Lipgloss in Nude Peach on top!

      Xoxo

      Delete
  9. I'm surprised you can get your hands on essence in the US! But then again its the US..
    Anyway, I thought essence mainly retails in germany and I got myself three of these. All of their products are sealed here by the way! I really like their new mascaras especially cause its only around 3 bucks and doesnt smudge or crumble at all, even after 4 or 5 coats! Dont like their other mascaras though.

    ps: I really like your blog! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow amazing!
    I need to try this Boost mascara.
    Thanx for this post...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your brows so much!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of this brand before but I think I'll stick to my tried & true favorite Lash Blast. Although, I want to try Maybelline's new one with the fibers, I think it's called Illegal Lengths. Have you tried that one yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lash Blast is better IMO! I want to try that one too. Every time I see it at the store I'm curious. Maybe i'll pick it up and post about it. In general I think maybelline has pretty good mascaras.

      Delete
  13. This is a great photo of you! Thanks for the review, I think I'll pass on this mascara too!

    http://beauty-twist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, doesn't do a great job, but I might try it out! :) I'm not too keen on big brushes though, makes it so hard to apply! :| Love your blogs, especially the reviews. I only started my blog, mind checking it out?

    www.amorestilo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, what bronzer are you using? it looks great!!!

    http://lindsaycmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsay! Its Chanel Bronze Universel.

      Delete
  16. You have such amazing lashes! So envious!
    Think I might try this... Was wanted to try Essence mascara and I'm a sucker for big wands too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha, what. I think this looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I want those babies touching my brows!!! (well, not really.. but you know what I mean ;) )

      Delete
  18. You should try the I Love Extreme-Volume Mascara by Essence... I've been using it steady for about a month now and I LOVE it! It curls my lashes, adds definition and makes them appear fuller... all for $3.99! Can't beat that. And I usually end up grabbing one near the middle-back, just because i feel it's least likely to have been opened. Plus the accompanying I Love Rocks-Gloss pencil is a great black liner for the price also.

    And what a beautiful picture! Your makeup is on point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to get it the next time i'm at ulta. I'll check out that pencil too. Thank you, gorgeous!!!! :)

      Delete
  19. Packaging is pretty. And you look gorgeous in that pic!

    Www.beautynthingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I had your natural lashes..they are looooong! Gorgeous still in the results. Your face pic belongs in a magazine! Too pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The products are not sealed cuz it is a German brand and in Germany cosmetic is never sealed. I love Essence!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love L'Oreal Beauty Tubes, it's so freaking easy to remove yet it stays on all day without smudging. It's the only makeup item I'd hoard if it were ever discontinued. It has a primer that takes my lashes almost to my brows lol, without the primer it gives a less dramatic look. You look gorgeous as always! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always think that products like this are for people still learning but not for people expecting a certain caliber of results, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so gorgeous!i have one question!? i wanna the mascara with length(very)effect,sry!!! for my bad english! i can't speak english very well-- plzZz answer to me(sepidehdam1389@yahoo.com).tnx ;*

    ReplyDelete