Friday, January 11, 2013

Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer Review, Photos, Swatches!

Kat Von D Concealer

Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer

Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer ($25) is an oil and paraben free pigmented concealer that is transfer-proof and water resistant. It's described as being heavy-duty and multitasking as it not only hides dark undereye circles and blemishes, but even tattoos.

Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer is available in (8) shades: 16, 18, 22, 24, 26, 28, 34 ad 36.

I received a sample of the shade 22, which is a soft beige, suitable for medium-light skin tones.

Because this concealer claims to be heavy enough to cover tattoos, I expected it to be a thick, somewhat dry consistency concealer (maybe something like the Make Up Forever Full Coverage Concealer). I was rather surprised to see that the consistency is actually pretty light (almost whipped) and very creamy. It also smooths out really well on the skin.

I'd consider it a medium coverage concealer, but it can be built to a fuller coverage when layered. One layer is never adequate coverage for me, but I like the fact that when I apply a few layers, it doesn't look heavy or unnatural. It also covers blemishes pretty well. After my foundation, I usually pat it on and then set with a powder puff.

You really don't need much, and I'd recommend starting out with less product than you think you'll need and go back to add more if necessary.

My favorite brush to apply this particular concealer is the MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush, although any standard concealer brush works fine. I sometimes like using my fingers as well, but a brush seems to provide more coverage.

The only downside I've experienced is that it makes my undereyes feel a little heavy and dry. I always moisturize my undereye area with Argan oil, so I don't have any issues with it actually making my undereyes appear dry, but it's a concealer that I can feel on my skin.

It lasts really well throughout the day with minimal to no fading.

Kat Von D Concealer

Kat Von D Concealer Before and After

Kat Von D Concealer #22
#22 swatched on my hand

Kat Von D Concealer #22
#22 blended on my hand

Kat Von D Concealer
Two layers of concealer (no setting powder)

I decided to put it to the test with covering a tattoo, as some have said it doesn't really work, while others have said it does. Note that on the Sephora website if you look at the "suggested use", it mentions a 4 step process to cover a tattoo which requires a pink base to neutralize the tattoo before applying the concealer. Meaning, it may not cover a tattoo on it's own. 

With one layer, it provides about 50% coverage. With an additional layer, the black is still showing through. On the far right, I compared it with MAC Studio Finish Concealer (NC20), and it seemed that MAC pretty much covered the tattoo in one layer. I did try three layers of the Kat Von D concealer (not shown) and it only seemed to completely cover it if I applied the third layer without doing any blending. As soon as I'd touch it, it would lift some concealer off, exposing the tattoo.

Kat Von D Concealer Before and After
(Please click the image to view the full-size)

The verdict: Does it work? Yes, but with some work. If you were looking to purchase this concealer for the sole purpose of covering a tattoo, I'd say look elsewhere. Because you have to layer it so much, it looks damp, thick (cakey) and unnatural on the skin. Something like MAC Studio Finish works much better because the drier texture makes it a little more budge-proof.

Despite it not being completely full coverage, I still like the blendability and the way it looks on my skin. I'll most likely purchase a full size tube as I like switching up my products.

Have you tried this concealer? What'd you think about it?

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • A small amount of product goes a long way
  • Lightweight, creamy consistency blends easily
  • Medium coverage - builds easily without looking heavy
  • Long-lasting
Cons:
  • Isn't full coverage with one layer - has to take several layers for absolute full coverage, which can be a pain.
  • It feels a bit heavy under my eyes.
  • Won't cover dark tattoos on it's own unless  you apply layers and don't blend them, causing it to look thick and unnatural.
Price: $25, Sephora.

31 comments:

  1. This one has always been on my to-buy concealers...and I am a conceal-aholic! Definitely getting that one...layering it with several products anyways, so I guess it´ll work just fine with me.

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of it on your undereye! Going to check it out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg your pictures are so crisp! one of the reasons why Im so attracted to your blog! aside from the great reviews of course =)

    tzeyien89.blogspot.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful eye shadow/liner colour on you. What colours did you use - i love the look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It's simply black pencil liner with Make Up Geek Burlesque Eyeshadow on top!

      Delete
  5. The concealer looks great under your eyes! So bright

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely for undereye! Definitely not worth the work over covering a tattoo. It'll just make you go out and buy more quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely consider trying this once I finish off the concealers I currently own. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow besides the heaviness, I like that its creamy and long-lasting!

    I'd LOVE if you did a photography post, your pictures are amazing! :)

    Rendee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haave yout tried the kat von d foundation I want to get it but dont know if its worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great as an under-eye concealer!

    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please, what's your favorite concealer? (most coverage, I mean) Thank you for sharing your experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh is this the new camera? :D The pictures look fantastic!

    As for the product, I'm glad to hear that this lasts throughout the day! I need it in my long days :)

    I just read your about me page too, woo woo for the Chi! :D

    -SL
    http://thesillylilacs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am obsessed with your blog, your pictures are amazing and love your honest reviews. I get dry under eyes so I will try the argan oil there! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that sample will probably last you a long time eh? I would love to try this one soon!

    XO Jenny @ beautykissxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great review! I've been wondering about this concealer for a while (I have dark under-eye circles and have had this recommended). Also wanted to add that I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dear,
    I found your blog by chance, while peeking others and I decided to check it out! I’m glad I did it, because I really liked it and it has completely got me hooked. I think we're going to get along just fine! ;) I'd like to invite you to meet my space as well and I hope you'll have as much fun as I am having in yours!
    I wish you lots of success
    kisses
    http://cottoncandy-peaches@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like a great concealer :)


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder if this will be available in the UK?

    Do you know if their are any pink based undertone shades in this as yellow undertones don't work with my skin?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks really good, now I wanna give it a try to cover up my extremely dark pigmented undereye circles. And btw, I absolutely love your eye makeup here! I think I'm gonna attempt to recreate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. it looks great under your eyes

    ReplyDelete
  21. This consealer is ideal for me. I have dark under eye circles and always embarrassing me to go out for functions. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great blog but just as an fyi, if you use any all red pigment before using a foundation/concealer that is your skin tone, your tattoo (no matter how dark) will cover up in an instant. Red will color block black, making it so that even an all black tattoo will be covered. Then just use a foundation to match your skin tone over the red, and you'll be good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review, your picture quality is amazing! Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Natalie,

    What eyeshadow do you have on here (the pretty reddish plum shade?)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whoops sorry, I can see you answered that question above :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kat's products are amazing, furthermore she's a great talented artist. This concealer IMHO is one of the best around, I love its covering level!

    ReplyDelete
  27. In love with this concealer! Kat's foundation is a must have too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, it looks really good on you. And your eye makeup looks incredible. Love your blog! I just did a full review on the foundation on my blog. The foundation is also really good.

    Molly - www.GirlGetGlamorous.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi I just found your blog and i looove it! The pics are amazing! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete