Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara Review, Photos and Before & After!

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara ($7) is a new mascara by Covergirl that promises volumized lashes (apparently 200% more volume to be exact) with zero clumps. The result? Big lashes that are separated.

In general, I like Covergirl mascaras, and with this mascara having a striking resemblance to one of my all-time favorites Covergirl Last Blast Mascara, I was really excited to give this mascara a try. I love the formula of Last Blast, but I'm not a huge fan of the mega-big, stubby bristled brush.

The Covergirl Clump Crusher on the other hand has a really good, effective brush. It's not as large, the bristles are a bit longer to help separate the lashes better, and the actual brush is curved so it hugs the base of all of your lashes for more even coats. It also works really well at catching those little corner lashes.

I tend to favor wetter formulas, and this one isn't very wet (but it's not very dry either) and it doesn't over deposit product on the lashes, which I think is one of the big factors as to why it doesn't get clumpy. 

I find that this mascara holds pretty true to it's claims and volumizes the lashes without clumping them together. It separates my lashes really well like Maybelline One by One or Make Up Forever Smokey Lash, and builds volume really well without looking clumpy, crispy or spidery. I wouldn't really consider it to be a lengthening mascara, as I don't notice much length, but I think it'd layer good with a lengthening mascara if you like combining mascaras.

Although I rarely ever wear mascara without a mascara base anymore, I tried this mascara both ways. As with any mascara, I prefer using a base prior. With a base, my lashes look a bit longer, and I'm able to achieve the look I want with two coats. Without a base, it takes me 3-4 coats to build my lashes up to my desired look.

This mascara holds up really well throughout the day without becoming sticky (some mascaras cause my top and bottom lashes to stick together.. so annoying!) and there is no smudging or flaking.

Also, it keeps the lashes fairly soft, so it isn't such a pain to remove. There is nothing I dread more than removing a crispy mascara.

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara Before and After Photos
Before and After

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara Wand

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara

Wearing Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara

I overall really like this mascara and will re-purchase. I love the fact that it's so similar to my beloved Last Blast minus the big, annoying brush and clumps. And best of all, it doesn't smudge, which is a huge factor for me since every mascara seems to smudge under my eyes. 

It might not give me huge, dramatic, glamour lashes I want, but it will do the job for every day.

The rating on Makeupalley is currently a 4.1/5 with a 78% re-purchase rate based on 126 reviews. 

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Great brush design - curved brush hugs the base of the lashes and applies the mascara evenly in less coats.
  • Adds volume
  • Separates the lashes
  • No smudging or flaking throughout the day
  • Easy removal
Cons:
  • Doesn't really add any extra length
  • Doesn't give as dramatic lashes as I would like
Price: $6.99 at your local drugstore. Prices may vary based on location.

26 comments:

  1. Hi, yeah i agree with you. This mascara is amazing, it does hold up way better than some of my high end ones. Something that works well for me with this mascara for massive drama is to put one good coat on the normal way followed by a coat from the top of the lashes, then again the traditional way. Basically making sure you completely cover your lashes from the top and bottom. If youre worried it will rub off on your lids, focus just on the ends when you apply from the top... Thanks for the pics, i knew i couldnt be crazy to think think this mascara was one of the best. Your lashes compared to other ones you have reviewed dont look spidery legged and clearly thicker and more defined! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really lovely! I currently have lash extensions on but once they fall out I want to try this mascara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesss! I have the Cover Girl Lash Blast Fusion, which I really like, but dread using because of the big brush. It also smudges a little. I'm so glad to see a good alternative (though it doesn't give as much length) to Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hii.. I know you said this is similar to lash blast (which I also use faithfully) but if you had to choose between the two which one would you choose?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard decision! But, I think I'd have to choose the original Lash Blast only because it gives me more volume. I'd totally swap brushes though... because I love the wand of Clump Crusher. In fact, they look like the same tube, so I think I will actually swap brushes when my tube of clump crusher is done!

      Delete
    2. That's what I plan on doing with y fave the lash blast Fusion, a brush swap. I absolutely love this brush, so the fusion formula and this brush is eyelash heaven!

      Delete
  5. Did you take these pictures with your new camera? How do you like it? The pictures look great, by the way, as do you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love it so far! I'll do a post on it very shortly. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. It looks fantastic on your lashes! I love the original one so was debating on this one. I like a lot more drama though so I think ill skip this one. your photos are magnificent btw. xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, this review makes me really want to give this a whirl! I've seen a few where people really didn't like it, but I like the points you've brought up and think I'm going to have to give it a go!! Thanks! Love your blog by the way!! Fantastico!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow!! This mascara looks fantastic!!! Thanks for the closeups!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks nice. I wanna try at some time this mascara. I love your make up! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been loving this mascara as well! I love your eye makeup in these pics! What shadows are you wearing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used various shades from the Coastal Scents 88 Warm Palette. If you want to know the exact shades, let me know! :)

      Delete
    2. I don't have the 88 warm palette, but I tried a similar look using MAC shades.:)

      Delete
  11. It looks great on you!!! I too love their Covergirl Lash Blast, I love that this has a curved brush/applicator! Will be picking this up! Thanks for your review! -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks really good! I'm a Maybelline user - those pink bottles with the green top. If you haven't already, I'd love to know what you use for a base! I've never used a base before. Thanks!

    Sheree
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the original Maybelline green top mascara, but it smudges a little bit on me. But it's great that it works for you since it's so inexpensive!

      I use Shiseido Nourishing Mascara base and I apply it concentrating on the ends to extend them out a bit. It really makes my lashes look longer and more volumized, and I don't have to spend as much time applying my mascara. My lashes look great with 1-2 coats, which without a base would take 3-4 coats.

      Delete
  13. I really love the packaging of the mascara lime green, but I like my mascaras to add lenght. I' ll probably purchase just for the packaging lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what eyeliner are you using? i love how its matte!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,

      I used Almay liquid Eyeliner. http://www.almay.com/products/eyes/eyeliner/liquid-eyeliner.aspx

      Delete
  15. Hi Natalie,

    Can you do a tutorial for this eye makeup and describe what colours maybe similar to the mac eyeshadow
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome post! I am looking for a new macara (natural looking) and this looks perfect.
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please do my survey! It's for Uni research about this mascara. Should take less than a minute to complete. Thank you thank you!

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2DTKYVP

    ReplyDelete