Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review: Testing out Chanel Vitalumiere Foundation! (Swatches, FOTD)

Chanel Vitalumiere is a foundation I've been interested in for ages. So, last month when purchasing Chanel's Double Perfection Compact, I figured I'd ask for a sample of Vitalumiere.

I was matched to Beige 40, which seems to match my skintone well. I would say it's a good NC35-37 match. Based on reviews, Beige 40 has worked for those in the MAC NC30-NC40 color range.

If you're familiar with Chanel products, many of them share the same scent (exactly like Chanel Bronze Universel/Soleil Tan De Chanel). It's a light, refreshing scent - if you sniff hard enough (lol) you can detect the chemical smell that's covered up with fragrance.

I first applied a very light moisturizer to my face (DDF Oil Free Moisturizing Dew) and with my Sigma F60 Foundation Brush I applied this foundation to my whole face, with light, short strokes. With thinner consistency foundations, I find that a standard foundation brush works the best, or a dense synthetic brush. I didn't care for using my MAC 131 (Duo Fibre) with this.

The way I categorize the coverage of foundations goes as: Light, Medium Light, Medium, Medium Full and Full. I consider this to be a Medium Light. It is definitely buildable, and doesn't look heavy once it's built up a bit. Some may find it necessary to apply a concealer over any blemishes, as this foundation may not cover the redness 100%. Before application, I dotted Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer on any areas that needed it. The result with this foundation is skin that actually looks like skin, but more even and radiant. I love how this makes my skin "glow". I'd compare it to Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation (but with less coverage than GA) and MAKE UP FOREVER Face & Body Foundation (but with more luminosity, more natural). I much prefer this foundation over MUFE F&B, which I find has a "tacky" feeling after application, not to mention the "globby" texture. Application with both is very similar.

I didn't blot my face because I wanted to see how well the foundation wears on its own. After around 3 hours I noticed a bit of shine on my t-zone. I still didn't blot, because I wanted to see how oily it would get. After around 6 hours, it didn't seem to get much more oily than it did at hour 3, but the foundation had worn off the tip of my nose, as well as the area around my mouth. Everything else was pretty much in tact. 

I wouldn't consider this foundation to be long-wearing, as it looks it's best the first 2-3 hours and seems to budge a little after that. I think it's a great foundation for the summer, special occasions, a night out, etc. To those that prefer a foundation that won't budge through a 8-9 hour work shift, this may fall under your expectations. The sales associate actually recommended I use Chanel Double Perfection Compact (powder foundation) over Vitalumiere to prolong the wear. Double Perfection isn't a dull powder, so it wouldn't take away from the finish of Vitalumiere. I haven't tried that though, but I will next time I wear Vitalumiere, as I know now that it's necessary for me to use a setting powder. I'll let you know how that goes. (Sorry for trailing off) Many reviewers have agreed that this foundation is awesome for dry skin, as it doesn't accentuate dry patches, it's moisturizing and it is dewy. I have pretty normal to combination skin (although it seems to be more normal lately) and I think it worked well for me, as it didn't get awfully oily. When I say "awfully", I'm saying, my eyebrows looking shiny & wearing off around the edges, which some foundations will do. Those with oily skin, may want to have a look at Mat Lumiere.

As far as purchasing goes, I'm not sure if this is a product I'll be purchasing anytime soon. I've been preferring Guerlain Parure Extreme lately - and it has actually climbed up to my favorite foundations list.

Chanel Vitalumiere in Beige 40 swatched on my hand 

Top: Chanel Vitalumiere Beige 40
Bottom: MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC40 

Compared to MAC SFF in NC40, they are similar in depth, but MAC is noticeable more yellow.

Even though you can't see my makeup in close detail, I figured I'd give a break down anyway of what I'm wearing.

Face:
Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer in Medium applied under my eyes and to blemishes
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 20 applied under my eyes to better suit my skintone
Chanel Vitalumiere Foundation in 40 Beige
YSL Touche Eclat in #1 in the corners of my eyes to brighten
NYC Sunny Bronzer to contour
MAC Pleasureful Blushcreme to cheeks
Hard Candy Living Doll Blush applied very lightly over Pleasureful for a pink glow

Eyes:
Dior 5-Colour Iridescent Eyeshadow in Crush Glow
NARS Coconut Grove Eyeshadow used as liner
Covergirl Lash Blast Mascara in Blackest Black
Brows:
MAKE UP FOREVER Eyebrow Corrector in #3
MAC Brow Set in Girl/Boy

Lips:
Bobbi Brown Petal Lip liner (discontinued)
MAC Shygirl Lipstick
Essense Nude Kiss Lipgloss

15 comments:

  1. Your skin look sooooo good.. Glowy and healthy! I have combination skin too but I have some nasty acne scars that vitalumiere just wont hide.. I have Mat lumiere tho.. And it does a pretty good job in covering the scars and i love that it's not completely matte.. It's actually more of a satin finish.. And you do need to powder your face..

    Thanks heaps for the great detailed review =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I have and love the Pro Lumiere and have been contemplating Vitalumiere. It's too bad about the staying power ): but it does look really gorgeous on you in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hair straight!! It looks so shiny and healthy!! Would you do a post on what products you used on your hair in this post?

    This Chanel foundation looks really beautiful on your skin. I have Chanel Lift Lumiere foundation in 50 Natural/Intensity 5.5

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it matters what type of foundation you use! Your skin is beautiful!

    xoxo
    check out my new post about BareMinerals!

    herdollface.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to Know! Thanks for the information. I almost made thew mistake of splurging on this foundation over the weekend.

    A beauty in life blog
    http://gracieincolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skin looks flawless with this foundation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I've been a long time follower but never posted. I just had to comment to say your skin looks AMAZING!! I think this is the best look for you - just so natural and glowy.. very beautiful! I think I may have to go out and try this for myself. And the post was also very helpful in choosing my own shade. Thank you!
    :) Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous FOTD and great review of Vitalumiere (I use it too and it's my fave foundation) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would LOVE to see a review on the Chanel Double Perfection Compact and how it looks over this foundation...I've always been curious to try out the Compact because I read Jessica Burciaga wears that...and her skins is my ideal skin! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too loved Vitalumiere during the first 3 hours, but ALL of Chanel's foundations wore off on me, including the Mat Lumiere and Pro Lumiere. I so wanted to love them, but they actually accentuated fine lines and pores as the day wore on :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. hiii.. i love ur review so much!!! <3
    you make me curious n want to try vitalumiere!! i hv a dull dry skin :(
    is the vitalumiere works well for me?
    im using mineralize satin finish in mac nc25.. maybe i think im nc25-30,,
    which shade is perfect skin for me? is b30 or b40 in chanel vitalumiere? helpp me please... a big thankies for youu...
    stay pretty!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Vitalumiere looks fab on you! We have the same skin coloring (I'm NC40 in MAC) and I was matched to 30 and 40 in Vitalumiere. I'm medium olive and also have red tones in my skin and the SA said 40 covered my redness whereas 30 seemed to melt into my skin more like a tinted moisturizer. I think I will pick this up in 40 for the summer when I am tanned. I LOVE this foundation. It gives light glowy coverage. I'm struggling with dry skin this winter and this foundation is my HG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, too, use the Vitalumiere in the 40 beige. However, I recently compared the 41 natural beige to the beige as I was recommended at the Chanel counter, and although 41 is slightly darker, it's also warmer and not "flat" looking. You should give that a try and compare it side by side - it's so much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so pretty! I was matched to the same Chanel Vitalumiere 40 shade years ago, and I just discovered I'm a NC15 - so wrong!

    ReplyDelete