Tuesday, October 2, 2012

NYX Black, Gold and Bronze Glitter Eye Pencils Review, Photo and Swatches!

NYX Black, Gold and Bronze Glitter Eye Pencils

I know, I know, you're probably sick of these NYX reviews, but I swear, I won't bore you for much longer. ☺

I snagged a few of these NYX Slim Eye Pencils ($3.50) at ULTA the other day and have been incorporating them in my eye looks every day since.

I purchased Bronze Shimmer; A deep bronze with gold glitter, Gold Glitter; A copper-gold with gold glitter, and Black Shimmer; A deep black with silver glitter. (On the NYX website, Bronze Shimmer is listed as Bronze Glitter and Black Shimmer is listed as Black Glitter.)

Of the three, Black Shimmer performs the best - It's smooth and applies opaque without having to apply several layers. Bronze Shimmer is smooth as well, but slightly less pigmented. It takes a couple of layers to achieve an opaque line. Gold Glitter gives me the most trouble, as the pencil tugs against my skin and I have to apply several layers before getting a semi-opaque line. It's a shame because it's such a pretty color.


Swatches from left to right: Gold Glitter, Bronze Shimmer and Black Shimmer.

I've been using both Bronze Shimmer and Gold Glitter on my lower lash line for a shimmery pop of color and I love the way they look opposed to black, or another deep shade like I'd normally wear. I always make sure to apply a good layer of setting powder under my eyes to set my concealer, and I think the powder really helps keep the liner in tact on my lower lash-line. I haven't had any trouble with fading, but I'm sure they wouldn't stick around for long if I applied them directly to my bare skin. For those with oily eyelids, I'm sure the wear-time would be much shorter. Karen from MBB didn't have the best experience with these (and she has oily lids for reference).

Still, I think they are fun, and since they are super cheap, I'm not expecting them to be the best pencils out there. I probably won't purchase any more of the glitter pencils, but I would buy their regular Slim Pencils - which are great buys!

I'm now going to be on the lookout for a gold pencil that's just as pretty and performs better. Maybe Urban Decay El Dorado 24/7 Glide-On Pencil? If anyone has a recommendation, let me know!





The Round-Up
Pros:
  • Black Shimmer applied the best, with very good pigmentation in one swipe. Bronze Shimmer came in #2 with pretty good pigmentation in a few layers.
  • I've found the lasting power to be good when applied over a powder or eyeshadow.
  • Inexpensive
Cons:
  • Might fade quickly on oily skin.
  • Performance can differ depending on the shade - I found the texture and pigmentation to be different with all three shades.
  • Gold Glitter tugs at my skin and to get decent pigmentation I have to press firm and go over the line several times. I've even lit the tip with a lighter to soften the product, and that barely helped.
Price: $3.50, Ulta, NYX & Cherry Culture.

15 comments:

  1. I'm in love!!! Unfortunately, we don't have NYX here in Bulgaria :( It is so sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gold Glitter and Bronze Shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the nyx pencils just to have the daring eyeliners you want to have but don't want to break the bank for! I have one in sea foam! :)

    themodmermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love nyx! I love those three colors, great for fall :)

    jusanothergurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have oily lid so i think i must quit this.. nice review.. but colors are looking so amazing to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "look" of glitter pencils but most I've encountered are quite scratchy on the skin and it's hard for anything to show up. So I usually resort to glitter liquid liners instead, they work much better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should try warming up the bronze and gold pencils with a lighter before using them. It'll make them creamier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should try warming up the bronze and gold pencils with a lighter before using them. It'll make them creamier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've been doing with the gold pencil, but surprisingly, it doesn't work. After running it through the flame, I wait a few seconds so it's not uber hot to apply on my sensitive skin, and the tip completely dries up again. Weird. It helps a little, though if I work with it super quick.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. these are soo pretty! I love NYX!
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes in gold/9L. It glides on really smoothly and has stayed put for me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Randomly found your blog and I’d like to say that you have amazing design,
    beautiful photos and interesting posts! I’m also impressed by your style! Everything
    is perfect!

    would you like to follow each other?
    will be happy to see you in my blog)

    Skin and Beauty Care!https://savarnasmantra.com/blogs/blog

    ReplyDelete