Friday, May 4, 2012

Sigma Tapered Highlighter and Face Brushes Review!

sigma f35

Sigma F25 Tapered Face Brush & F35 Tapered Highlighter Brush

You might remember me talking recently about wanting a domed shaped powder brush, and how I've had my eye on the Sigma F35 Tapered Highlighter Brush. I'm not sure if it's the unique shape of the brush head, or the fact that you don't see them around too often and I wanted something different (you mostly see the regular, standard, boring brush shapes) - All I knew was that I needed one (or two) in my collection even if I don't really need it.

So, I went ahead and ordered both brushes after not being able to choose one over the other.

F25 Tapered Face Brush - Designed for precise product placement of powder, blush and contour shades to the face. ($22)
F35 Tapered Highlighter Brush -Designed for precise product placement of highlighter to the face. ($16)

Sigma Brushes

Upon waiting for my order, I was a little nervous that the brushes wouldn't be soft. I own a few sets of Sigma brushes and they are for the most part very soft, but I also have a couple duds that aren't very soft at all (F50 Duo Fiber and F05 Small Contour).

I was really excited to see that these brushes are ultra soft and luxurious.

As with all of my other Sigma Brushes, they are of great quality. You can tell just by holding the brush in your hand that it's a well made brush. They feel very sturdy and are comparable to higher end brushes.

The handles are a shiny black, and the lettering has changed from their previous plain silver to holographic silver lettering - a nice touch that makes the brush look additionally attractive.

Sigma Brushes
A few people told me that they don't find much use for the F25 Tapered Face Brush because they find it too large, so I was expecting an awkwardly large brush - but it's actually the perfect size for a powder brush.

I've been using the F25 mostly for applying bronzer all over my face, as well as using it for setting powder. It works wonderful for both, especially since it's not too dense where it's going to deposit too much color in one spot, and it's super soft so it glides like a feather across the face. The pointed tip is great because it allows me to reach small areas (under my eyes, corners of my nose, etc) and around the frame of my face. I can see how some think it's too large to work as a contour brush for the cheeks - if you want really precise application of your contour powder or bronzer, you may want to opt for the smaller option - the F30 Brush.

The F30 works great for very precise application of contour powder in the hollows of the cheeks. The size is absolutely perfect for it - it's not too small or too big. It also works wonderfully for powder highlighter for applying the product precisely across the highest point of the cheeks. Lastly, it's also very useful for setting the under-eyes with powder as it can reach small areas with it's domed tip.

As with many brushes, with daily use, they can start to lose their shape, and expand outward. Of course it hasn't happened to mine yet, but to keep the bristles together, I like storing them in Coastal Scents Brush Guards. Sigma also has something called the "Dry'N Shape" that is also used to keep the bristles together once they're washed.

As far as shedding goes, they both shed a few bristles during washing, but I haven't noticed any since. Also, neither brush released dye when washed which really surprised me - till this day the water still runs gray when washing my F30 and F50 and I've had them for one year.

Here's a photo of the brushes against my face for scale.
Sigma Brushes

Overall, I'm really happy with these brushes and I'm sure I'll be using both on a regular basis. If you're in a rut and don't know which one to choose, I'd recommend the F35 as I think due to it's smaller shape, it applies product more precise and is a little more versatile than the F25.

Sigma Brushes are sold exclusively on their website, at http://www.sigmabeauty.com.

15 comments:

  1. I seriously love the way this camera takes skin pic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog and I am in love with it! I think we may have around the same coloring because I have a lot of the same makeup in the same exact colors as you! I also have sensitive skin too so I found your reviews to be very helpful. Can't wait to read more!

    Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to try Sigma Brushes, I like the look of those so maybe they will be my first :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these brushes, everyday use for me but I have found that after a few washes they lose their shape. Although I don't have brush gaurds, I may have to invest in some. Great post! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of these I dont have any brushes this shape either but I think id go for the smaller one too

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am in love with sigma brushes...yet i have always put off purchasing one, or both of these brushes! i think you may have convinced me to order one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you tell me what did you use on your lips, in the post before? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,I discovered your blog just now and I found so many interesting things .I love your blog.I have both brushes .They are really good and useful,I use f35 almost every day to high light my face.I'm sure you will love using them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've thought of ordering this, for highlighters and the like. And Sigma brushes are amazing~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the larger one but want the smaller one so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the smaller brush too <3
    http://metajojuana-under-a-starry-nyt.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for this review! I've been looking for a brush to use with my highlighter and I couldn't bring myself to spending the $ on the MAC brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you know how the F35 compares to the Real Techniques Contour Brush, from the Core Collection? I'm assuming you have this brush since you have the Foundation brush.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Use the F25 to set your under eye makeup with a quick sweep adding the perfect amount of setting powder without the cakey look! Its perfect! Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Use the F25 to set your under eye makeup with a quick sweep adding the perfect amount of setting powder without the cakey look! Its perfect! Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete