Wednesday, November 24, 2010

MAC Pro Longwear Foundation Review, Swatches & FOTD!

mac pro longwear foundation review

MAC Pro Longwear Foundation

MAC Pro Longwear Foundation ($29.50) is one of MAC's newest foundations that is promised to provide up to 15 hours of wear in any environment and condition. It provides a lightweight, sheer to medium coverage and will keep the skin looking natural and flawless. *Contains SPF 10

I've only worn this foundation twice so far, but I couldn't wait to write my review!

*For reference, it's a couple dollars more expensive than Studio Fix Fluid, which retails for $26. I'm guessing because it includes a pump. (Satinfinish also has a pump and retails for $29.50.)

The texture is nice and creamy, but slightly lighter/thinner in comparison to MAC Studio Fix Fluid - yet it's not watery at all. 

The coverage is light to medium - one pump will give me sheer coverage, and an additional pump will give me light-medium coverage. It's buildable to a solid medium, but if you have any blemishes or hyperpigmentation, you may find that spot concealing is necessary. 

I will say this foundation is a bit difficult to work with. It's kind of hard to explain, because the foundation itself isn't thick at all, but once it hits the skin, it doesn't move around that easily - causing me to use excess foundation. I've found that using a primer beforehand really helps smooth the foundation all over my face without wasting product.

The finish is semi-matte, and it doesn't leave my face feeling moist, so I don't find it necessary for me to set the foundation with a powder. Just a little under my eyes to set my concealer.

(Wearing MAC Pro Longwear Foundation in NC35)


Color Comparisons:



Pictured from Left to Right: MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC40, MAC Prolongwear Foundation NC35 & MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC30. I didn't have any other NC35 foundations to compare it to. It appears peachier than the other two shades. I took three photos (no flash) to give you a good idea of the shade. Again, it's pictured in the middle.

Right now, it is a little past 11:00 PM and I applied this at around 1:00 PM. That's 10 hours and my makeup didn't budge at all. It looks just as good as when I first applied it. By this time though, I can feel the foundation on my face and I want to wash it off. I'm use to heavy foundations, and although this doesn't exactly feel heavy, I definitely feel makeup on my face.

I would for sure purchase a full size bottle of this foundation. What really sold me was that I didn't get at all shiny and my makeup lasted a full day. I have no doubt in my mind that if I stayed up all night that my makeup would still look good in the morning.

Here is my makeup after I applied it this afternoon..

Face: Wet n Wild Cover All Stick #Light-Medium
MAC Select Cover Up #NW25
MAC Pro Longwear Foundation NC35
MAC Refined Golden Bronzer
NARS Madly Blush

Brows: Maybelline Define a Brow #Medium Brown

Eyes: Sephora Sunbaked No 2 Trio (The bronze & gold shade all over my lid)
Sephora No. 18 eyeshadow (at the very end of my lid to elongate my eyes. Swatch of the color here)
Revlon Colorstay Black Liquid Eye Pen
Covergirl Volume Exact Mascara
YSL Faux Cils (to give more volume to my bottom lashes)
Generic false lashes cut in half at the ends of my eyes

Lips: OCC Lip Tar #Cha Cha
Smashbox Lip Gloss #Pout (to make it pinky)

And, here is my makeup right now!



15 comments:

  1. I was totally sold from my sample I got from MAC too, even went back and got the full bottle. Very much worth it, my blush stays on longer now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie! Great post! Would you say that this foundation runs darker than MAC Studio Fix Fluid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Macstar! I think it runs slightly darker. I think NC35 looks like more of an NC37. Its hard for me to say because I don't have a definite shade. I'm anywhere from NC30-NC40 depending on my tan. Based on many reviews I read, many said they went a shade lighter and many said it's true to color. It depends on what works better for you. My darkest shade (my usual skin tone)is an NC40.. and If I was going to purchase it, I'd probably get NC37 to be safe. Because I know anything a touch darker than NC40.. such as NC42 is way too dark for me and won't work. I feel that its always better to risk going lighter than darker.. since you can add warmth to your face with bronzer. I do recommend getting a sample. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. blogwalking here and visiting.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to studio fix because the other foundations are a little to creamy for my skin and they leave me oily after a few hours. I love your makeup look. It's so natural and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ay mujer, you look so fabulous in the before and after shots, i need to do a comparison too, i have the foundation and I do love it (heavy, just like double wear which i am really loving recently [bought it this past Friday])

    hope the weather isn't too cold for you right now! this morning it's so frigid...grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous! I was thinking about picking this up along w/ the concealer on friday so I can (hopefully) get pink friday along with it :)

    great post!

    theroyalblush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great! Ok...I was contemplating trying it but you just sold me on it. I'll probably have one in my hands by the end of the day ;)

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Natty, great review. I bought a full-size bottle of the Pro-Longwear as soon as it came out because I was so sure I'd like it since all the reviews I'd read were positive. I'm usually (or so I thought) and NC25 in Studio Fix and the MAC consultant told me to try NC30, saying the foundation ran light. But the NC30 in Pro-Longwear looked extremely dark and orange-y so I went with the NC25 whiched turned out to be lighter and slightly more neutral than Studio Fix NC25. Anyways, it matched perfectly (making me realize I'm not really and NC25 in SFF)Annnyways...the first few days I loved it. It looks amazing on. However, I found it way harder to blend than SFF (even with moisturizer and/or primer)It was like trying to move drying glue around my face. Then througout the day I would notice that it was separating...like sliding off certain parts of my face leaving tiny spots with no makeup. And when I touched my face it would ball up and rub off. It was really strange so I returned it and bought a new bottle of SFF in NC20 (which is lighter the the PL NC25) but still an ok match.I'm wondering if I'm the only one that has had these issues??...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I tried the prolongwear foundation in NC40 with studio fiv=nish concealer in NC 30 but the concealer and foundation separate in few hours can anyone tell me how to avoid it

    ReplyDelete
  11. For you el double wear what shade r u using im in between nc 35 to nc 40 on the studio.fix from mac.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For you el double wear what shade r u using im in between nc 35 to nc 40 on the studio.fix from mac.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For you el double wear what shade r u using im in between nc 35 to nc 40 on the studio.fix from mac.

    ReplyDelete