Monday, July 8, 2013

MAC Warming Heart Pressed Pigment Review, Photos, Swatches & Application Tips!

MAC Warming Heart Pressed Pigment

MAC Warming Heart Pressed Pigment

MAC Warming Heart Pressed Pigment ($21) is a light, peach-pink with a very shimmery translucent finish. MAC describes the product as a "creamy highlighter with a versatility of finish" meaning that you can achieve a variety of finishes depending on how you apply them. You can apply the pressed pigments dry for a sheer, shimmery shine, or wet for a bolder, more metallic look.

The reviews I've seen for these have been very mixed - but unfortunately, I've seen more less favorable reviews. For instance, Temptalia rated the MAC Pressed Pigments a "F"and said that they have some of the worst fall-out of any glittery shadows she's worked with. On the contrary, Beauty Look Book really liked the MAC Pressed Pigments and owns several shades. I follow and trust both bloggers opinions, but I also understand that it's not going to be a product for everyone unless of course, you like glitter.

I personally have always liked shimmery eyeshadows and find it hard to resist an eyeshadow that sparkles and shines. When I spotted this pigment at my local Cosmetic Company Outlet, I grabbed it right away.

The texture of the product is very soft to the touch and has a creaminess about it much like the MAC Extra-Dimension products. Despite that, it's also gritty (not dry, though) and crumbly. The product is very delicate and you have to make sure not to apply too much pressure to it with your application tool.

MAC Warming Heart Pressed Pigment

MAC Warming Heart Swatches
MAC Warming Heart swatched dry and wet

MAC Warming Heart Pressed Pigment

The biggest downfall of this product is the consistency and that the pigment isn't bonded together well enough. It's just so crumbly that it's difficult to pick up an even amount of product, which will either cause fall-out when applying or uneven/cakey application. It's also super sheer, and in order to achieve the gorgeous opaque color in the pan, you have to apply a thick amount. And, applying a thick amount of a product with this consistency is a glitter disaster. After some trial and error, I'll only wear this product in a sheer layer alone, over my eyeshadow or as an accent on my eyes. When worn sheerly, you miss a little bit of the beautiful color, and only a light, shimmery shine is left behind.

Application

Getting these pigments to work for you will highly depend on your application method. You will need a base with these as you would any pigment. If you're prone to oily lids, a sticky base would work the best, such as Too Faced Shadow Insurance Glitter GlueFyrinnae Pixie Epoxy or MAC Water-Based Mixing Medium (Exclusive MAC PRO Product available by phone order - 1-800-387-6707). I use NARS Smudge-proof Base for all of my eyeshadows, and it works fine under a light layer of product.

The brush recommended by MAC is the MAC 215 Medium Shader Brush, and although I love the 215, I don't care for it for applying this specific product. Since the product is crumbly and prone to fall-out, I wouldn't use any brush for general application (unless it's flat and dense). For applying dry, my favorite tool is my finger and lightly pressing it onto my lids. Usually for pressed pigments (such as L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadows) I like using a disposable sponge applicator because it picks up a lot of product, but since this product is indeed chunky, it doesn't adhere to the sponge evenly and when it touches the eyelid, bits will crumble and fall. I've heard amazing things about the MAC Sponge Applicators, specifically for use with these pigments. I believe they're silicone-based, and many have said that they spread the product on the skin better than any other tool. (I have yet to try them) When applied wet, I like using a flat shader brush such as the MAC 242 Brush and lightly dabbing the product onto my lids.

MAC Warming Heart Pressed Pigment on my eyes
MAC Warming Heart Pressed Pigment applied over Nars Eyeshadow Base

eye look with mac warming heart

Regardless of how I wear this product I still get a little fall-out of glitter on my cheeks after hours of wear. It doesn't bother me greatly, but because of it, I don't reach for it often. I've used it on my cheekbones for a highlighter and lightly rubbed into my blush for a little bit of a glow, but I really didn't find it to be the best highlighter either. I prefer a highlighting product with more uniform shine - this product is just sparkly.

Would I recommend these?  No. There is no doubt that most of the shades are pretty, swatch beautifully and look beautiful on the eyes. But they require too much work to apply correctly, and avoiding fall-out is almost inevitable. When used with a sticky/tacky base and the MAC Sponge Applicators, there are some that reported zero fall-out, but if you don't already own those products, you'll have to invest the extra $12 for the pack of applicators and at least $20 for a sticky eyeshadow base. I'd rather just skip the pigment all together. That's just me, though! :)

Have you tried these? I'd love to know your thoughts!

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Gorgeous color
  • Multi-purpose product
  • Doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes like the loose pigments do
Cons:
  • Sheer (but buildable)
  • You must use a base with this - specifically a sticky/tacky, glue-like base to give the glitter something to adhere to.
  • Texture needs a lot of work - it should be smoother and the color and glitter should be more uniform
  • Very fragile - crumbles and dents easily
  • Messy - aside from the product crumbling, when I use this product, I find glitter particles on everything. My clothes, my hands, etc.
  • I think you need a small level of expertise when working with this product - I wouldn't recommend for beginners
Price: $21, MAC.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this review! I was debating whether to try these products out, and this helped me decide! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very pretty
    http://www.betzysmakeup.com/2013/07/wishlist-with-sheinside.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome review =)

    http://jtinebeautyshare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous color! it look so good on you too. love how you paired it with winged eyeliner! xx. gigi. www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks really gorgeous and I really love that color and it's good for a party makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use my ring finger and pat it onto my eyelid on top of shadow and it lasts all day. I haven't had a problem with fall out.

    Great review, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to know!! I think the finger is the best tool for this shadow. I'm glad it works for you! I think the fall-out is mostly from applying too much. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I JUST saw this on the MAC website yesterday and debated ordering it! Thanks for the review, it's so super shimmery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks gorgeous! I think I'd look for something similar that is a bit easier to work with x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try spraying your brush with Fix+ first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shades are beautiful, I have one Chanel blush, it is a very sheer pink. My favourite of these three blushes is Revelation

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good review! Gorgeous product by the way! x

    ReplyDelete