Tuesday, July 9, 2013

MAC Up the Amp Lipstick Review, Photos, Swatches!

MAC Up the Amp Lipstick

MAC Up the Amp Lipstick

MAC Up the Amp Lipstick ($15) is described on the MAC website as a "lavender violet". I think that's a really good description for it - it's a purple lipstick, but more violet (blue-toned purple) rather purple (even tone of red and blue). It's medium in tone, but it has that hint of lavender that lightens it up and brings a milkiness to the color. On tan/darker skin tones, it gives off a beautiful lilac pink hue.

It's definitely not an everyday color and is a bit edgy and daring, but when I'm in one of those moods where I want to look a bit fierce, I always reach for purple lipstick.

It actually took me a few wears to get use to this color - at first I thought it was too dull and dark. I was initially mixing it with lighter lilac shades (such as MAC Saint Germain, etc) to tone it down, until the point that I just started wearing it solo. It's one of my favorites now!

It's the "Amplified" formula, which I think is one of the best. It glides on smooth, creamy and the color is opaque. It has a shiny finish and doesn't dry out my lips.

MAC Up the Amp Lipstick

Wearing MAC Up the Amp Lipstick
When I wear purple-toned lipstick, I like to keep the rest of my makeup simple as the main focus is the lips. A simple winged-eye always looks great. Also, to keep my face from looking too cool-toned and dull, I always make sure to wear a warm-toned bronzer and a peachy blush. (Pink is a great pair for cool skin tones, but I love peach/orange blush on warm skin tones with purple lips.) I also never skip highlighter as I want to put some light back in my face since the lipstick darkens up my look.

MAC Up the Amp Lipstick Swatch


MAC Up the Amp Lipstick

Wearing MAC Up the Amp Lipstick
Illamasqua Lover Blush on the cheeks

MAC Up the Amp Lipstick

MAC Up the Amp Lipstick Swatch

If you're looking to step out of the box and try a new shade of lipstick, MAC Up the Amp is a great choice!

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Wearable on a large range of skin tones - from light to dark skin
  • The color isn't too dark, so no fear of steering into the goth category
  • Bold color, but not too over-the-top
  • Opaque coverage
  • Shiny finish
Cons:
  • None!
Price: $15, MAC.

29 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this colour and it looks really good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colour especially thogether with you hair it looks great!

    xx Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, I am currently on a mission to find the perfect shade of purple lipstick, so I should try this one out :) you look stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really been getting into purple lipsticks lately. I just received MAC RiRi Boy and am in love! Have you ever tried the Maybelline Vivids in Brazen Berry? I'm trying to decide how similar it is to Up The Amp. I bet you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just wondering the same thing as I'm wearing brazen berry today and on screen/swatched they look identical

      Delete
  5. Wow, it looks so good on you. Definitely, I'm going to try this one too. I love the Amplified formula too.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I picked up this l/s early on! It's a really fun shade without making you look over-the-top

    ReplyDelete
  7. one of my faves!! wore it yesterday! looks great on you! -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every lipstick looks awesome on you..no fair :( I dunno about this lipstick, sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it :s

    I'll be wearing it tomorrow for sure thanks to this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This seems like such an amazing lipstick color :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favs
    http://www.betzysmakeup.com/2013/07/a-women-wants-it-all.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this color will totally be buying it. I"ve been wanting to buy the niki minaj purple lipstick but wasnt convinced if it would look good with my skin tone but this is a perfect alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colour but I think it would make me look pale and sick! I do have a purple lipstick but it's not as "pastel", the one I have is from Estée Lauder and it's called "Violet Crush". X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this color, it looks so good :)
    xoxo, Aman | coffee chic twitter

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of my favorite colors! I use it as an everyday lipstick since I purchased it last year. What other blushes could you recommend from MAC? I have similar skin tone and hair color to you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That color is awesome especially for the summer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks So pretty on you! Definitely next on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The colour suits your skin tone but I'm afraid it won't suite everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this suits you so well! i need to start wearing mine more

    http://whaticallbeautiful.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks gorgeous on you! I haven't played with the purple toned lipsticks much but I always love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved how you have paired it with the makeup on your face. Purples look deathly pale on my NC35 skin tone. Will try it with a warmer blush this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This color looks amazing on you!

    http://kiarasmakeupcorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This shade sure looks great on you. I was frightened by the color from the tube, just don't know it could be applied so beautiful on lips

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely Love this color will deffinetly have to go purchase!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. MAC lippies are my fave, this might have to be the next colour i purchase, looks lovely x
    Pearl & Peach

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi beauty! I've took the liberty to use one of your photos on my blog I hope it's okay with you. Of course I said where I took it and also added the link to your website. Let me know if it's okay or not, I can remove it

    ReplyDelete