Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Physicians Formula Super BB All-in-1 Beauty Balm Concealer Review, Photos, Swatches!

Physicians Formula Super BB All-in-1 Beauty Balm Concealer

Physicians Formula Super BB All-in-1 Beauty Balm Concealer ($12.95) is new twist-pen style concealer that's a part of the Physicians Formula Super BB line. The line consists of a BB Cream, concealer and powder that are all designed to perfectly compliment each other. The BB concealer is said to diminish the appearance of dark circles, puffiness, imperfections, blemishes, redness and uneven skin tone.

Physicians Formula Super BB Concealer is available in two shades: Light/Medium and Medium/Deep. I purchased Light/Medium which I'd consider to be around the MAC NC20 coloring. It's peachy toned, so it's ideal for covering up under eye darkness.

The consistency is very thin and creamy. If you're familiar with MAC Select Moisturecover Concealer, it has that similar thin, wet consistency, but creamy to the touch.

One quarter of a twist provides enough product for one eye. I apply it directly from the brush to my undereyes and then lightly pat the product with my finger tips to blend. Patting works best with this concealer as opposed to wiping to provide the best coverage. The product diffuses into the skin without much of a trace. It has a healthy, dewy (not greasy) finish much like the BB cream.

The coverage is light and can be slightly built, but not up to much. With two layers it can be built to a light-medium, but still fairly sheer. It never fully reaches what I'd consider to be medium coverage.

It doesn't completely camouflage my under eye darkness, but it does slightly lighten them up. Since I like a pretty opaque undereye coverage, I usually apply my regular concealer prior to my foundation and then after my foundation I like applying a brightener - something like YSL Touche Eclat or MAC Prep & Prime Highlighter. Sometimes I use a lighter concealer, and this seems to work pretty well for that. It's not opaque enough to do major brightening, but because of it's thin consistency and blendability, it's ideal for layering since it will never look thick or cakey.

It doesn't settle in my fine lines and it feels lightweight on the skin.

Here's the before and after of one layer. You can see from the after photo that some darkness is still visible and you can faintly see my sun spots.

Swatch of Light/Medium

Here's a super close up shot of the product applied under my eyes before I blended it in to give you a better idea of the texture and color.

Overall I enjoy using this product and I think it goes well with the Super BB Cream. Both products are very lightweight and blend seamlessly into the skin. I do wish the concealer had more coverage because  I find it to be too sheer for my needs. The consistency and blendability is great though, so if don't have much undereye darkness and only need a light coverage, this may be worth looking into. But if you need a medium to full coverage concealer, definitely look elsewhere.

The Round-Up

Pros:
  • Blends really well with a virtually seamless finish
  • Feels lightweight on the skin
  • Doesn't settle in fine lines or get cakey
  • Great packaging
  • SPF 30
Cons:
  • Only available in two shades 
  • Sheer coverage - does not cover blemishes (at all) or adequately cover undereye darkness
  • Slightly expensive for a drugstore concealer

Repurchase? Probably not.

Price: $12.95 at your local drugstore.

8 comments:

  1. It's not too bad you know, considering it hasn't provided too much coverage. It's probably good for those no-makeup days when you still want to look presentable but not pile on the makeup. Great review as always! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about picking up this product as well but thanks to another great review I think I will skip it. I need as much coverage as I can on my under eye circles:)

    Sara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! I almost bought this!
    merrybellyland777.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did purchase this recently (on sale) and have been using it daily. It's not bad. It goes on nicely, gives some coverage but agree not great. Thanks for the review :)

    xo Marie
    http://nyorkeratheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might actually pick this up
    thanks for the review

    francescaxdoll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh it looks perfect for my daily needs! i might go and get one soon and give it a try! thx for the amazing review dear!~^_^ <3

    http://beautylishlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete