Friday, March 15, 2013

Step by Step: How to Bleach your Eyebrows!

How to: Bleach your Eyebrows

Bleaching my eyebrows was always a part of my regular beauty routine back when I had blonde highlights in my hair or when my hair was a lighter shade of brown. Everyone has their own preference and opinion about matching your eyebrows to your hair color or just bleaching/coloring the eyebrows in general (some like it, some don't), but when done properly, it can really enhance your look.

My eyebrows are very thick, coarse, dark, naturally high arched, non-symmetical (meaning they don't match) and grow quick. Or in other words, nightmare brows. So, I usually have a hell of a time getting them to match every day.

Because I have quite a bit of filling in to do, they can sometimes look too harsh, dark or obvious. I also think that when my brows are super dark, it can create too much emphasis on them, taking away from other features of my face. When they're lighter, the emphasis is taken off my brows and creates more emphasis to my eyes and lips.

In this post, I'm going to briefly go over how you can achieve lighter eyebrows in some really simple steps.

Tools Needed: 

  • Facial Bleach (I'm using Sally Hansen Creme Hair Bleach for the face)
  • Spoolie (or a clean cosmetic wand)
  • Vaseline (optional)
  • Purple Shampoo or Hair Toner (optional - I'm using Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo)

My Eyebrows before and after bleaching them. 



  1. Start out with clean, freshly groomed eyebrows. (In this photo I've filled my eyebrows in with my regular brow product to show you the difference in the before and after photo)
  2. Using a Q-tip, apply vaseline on the skin around the eyebrows. This will prevent the bleach from touching your skin and causing irritations. This step is optional, but if your brows are freshly tweezed, I highly recommend applying vaseline, as the bleach can slightly burn freshly tweezed skin.
  3. Mix your bleach as directed on the instructions and take your spoolie and comb it through your brows. You want to bleach each hair evenly, so work the spoolie back and forth so the hairs are coated on all angles. 
  4. Heavily coat your eyebrows in the bleach mixture so they are completely covered. Watch the clock. If you only want to slightly lighten them, you may only need the mixture on your eyebrows for about 5 minutes or so. I wanted my brows to be extra light, so I left the mixture on for 10 minutes.
  5. Remove the bleach mixture from your eyebrows using your spoolie or a damp cloth.
  6. Rinse and pat your eyebrows dry. 
  7. Using a Q-tip, apply purple shampoo to your eyebrows and let them sit for around 10 minutes. 
  8. Rinse and pat dry. You can see the difference from step #6 where my brows have yellow/orange tones, and #8 where they are more neutral.
  9. You're finished! This is what my brow looks like filled in with a lighter brow product. 

    Some things to keep in mind:

    • If you have very fine and/or sparse eyebrows, the bleach will develop quicker. Keep a close eye on them and with a cotton swab, wipe a little off every couple of minutes to check on them, otherwise if you keep the mixture on for too long, you might end up with light blonde eyebrows.
    • If you have very dark brown eyebrows, they will always come out with brassy tones. Think of it as adding bleach to dark hair.. It's always orange before you dye or tone it. Bleach lifts color, it doesn't tone.
    • If your brows came out too light or orange, don't panic. They may look super brassy on the first day or two, but it does settle in well and the brassiness will fade throughout the week. You will be filling them in with a brow product anyways, so after they're filled in, any orangey tones aren't noticeable. 
    • A toner isn't necessary (in fact, most of the time I skip the purple shampoo) but I wanted to show you that step anyway if it's something you'd be interested in. I don't want to tell you to go out and purchase a bottle of dye (that can only be used once) just to use a tiny bit for the brows. I've never used a specific toner, but if I were to purchase one, I'd get a semi-permanent ash or cool blonde or light brown dye and apply it to my brows after I've bleached them. I like using a purple shampoo because if you bleach them regularly, getting a bottle of purple shampoo would be a better value. I use the purple shampoo on my hair as well to get rid of the brassy tones!
    • If you are going to use a toner, please use extreme caution as you don't want it near your eyes. Apply a little product at a time with a q-tip, making sure not to overload them with product so they won't drip and get in your eyes. 

      Results may vary, but I bleach my eyebrows once a month for upkeep.

      It's super easy and takes a short amount of time. If it's something you'd like to try, I'd say go for it! It only lasts for a few weeks anyways, so if you don't like it, don't worry, it fades gradually and is almost completely gone in 3 weeks. 


      49 comments:

      1. Replies
        1. Awesome! Let me know how it works for you! :)

          Delete
      2. I wanted to bleach mine but then I got scared. I have nearly black 'Cara Delevigne' brows. The thing is that hers are more brown that black. I got scared tho how will it look when I will have half brown half black eyebrows so for now I settled for tinted brow gel and it does the job. Is the difference when yours grow out very noticeable? How do you deal with it?

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. You'd almost think that they would grow out like your hair (super dark roots, light tips) but with the bleach, it just fades over time. I've used bleach on my neck (guilty of neck hairs) and other areas of my face as well as my brows and they'll be super light at first and they'll darken gradually until they reach the color they were originally. You won't be left with any weird growth, so don't worry! :)

          One tip though - I always like to trim my brow hairs before bleaching because I find that when the individual hairs are very long (which mine grow crazy long - which is why they can look so dark) it's a little more difficult to coat the hairs evenly with bleach. So I've had it before where some hairs were only coated on one side, and you could see a few darker hairs peeking through. Working the spoolie back and forth helps tremendously and I don't have issues with that anymore.

          Delete
        2. Hi, just curious, wouldn't your brows grow out more root after bleaching if they are trimmed? Being that you leave them some length to grow out, where as if most hair is fully grown, only the shorter ones would grow dark roots, the rest would just slowly shed out and fade gradually to your natural color.

          Delete
      3. This makes me want to do mine! Mine are super thick/black but it only lasts under two weeks. I'll hate to put bleach so close to my eyes that often haha

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Haha!! I totally know what you mean. It's quite the maintenance for dark brows. lol

          Delete
      4. I had been SO curious about this! I really appreciate the before and after photos. I've been scared to do it for fear of orange brows but I think the look may be worth the risk. Even if they do look orange, you're right, just some brow powder/gel and fixed! lol

        <3
        Sarah

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. if your brows are near black, it's almost hard to escape orange, but they only stay that way for maybe 2-3 days. After that, they seem to slightly neutralize on their own. After you've finished applying your foundation, you can swipe the brush over your brows (the residue) and I found that it helps neutralize them. (Usually I try my best to steer clear of my brows with my foundation brush, but it works like a charm when I've first bleached them). I say give it a try! If you have any other questions, just let me know!

          Delete
      5. Another thoroughly informative post! So pretty :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you so much! Are you Norwegian? I like your username :)

          Delete
      6. This post is very helpful esp. for me who have a thick/black eyebrow. I hope I can do this too :)

        XOXO,
        Jenna of Daydreamer Fashionista. ♥

        ReplyDelete
      7. This comment has been removed by the author.

        ReplyDelete
      8. Great post! I actually use the same set to bleach my eyebrows! It only takes a few minutes to use and its affordable too! :)

        somegirlnamedjem.blogspot.com

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Awesome! Yes - I love how quick and easy it is.. and of course the best of all.. it's super cheap and lasts for several uses.

          Delete
      9. very helpful tutorial thanks for sharing xx
        htt://samrasbeautyblog.blogspot.com

        ReplyDelete
      10. and I have to darken my brows...

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Haha! Do you dye them regularly?

          I love MAC Brow Set for a temporary fix.. Do you use any tinted brow gels?

          Delete
      11. Nice and useful tips and I want to try it soon also it looks awesome.

        ReplyDelete
      12. The purple shampoo on the brows after bleaching is genius! It really made all the difference, they look lovely! Xo

        Cat
        MaybeBabyXo.com

        ReplyDelete
      13. Wow! It looks perfect and you have magnetic eyes. The steps are clear.

        ReplyDelete
      14. I just tried this, I think i made them a shade too light but I'll know better next time. I used a spoolie to cover the brow, but i am still left with some black hairs that didn't take. Is this normal for coarse black brows?

        ReplyDelete
      15. I think this is among the most vital information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

        ReplyDelete
      16. This helped me so much! I'm going to dye my hair soon so gotta do my brows too. Thank you!

        http://lifesentropy.com

        ReplyDelete
      17. This is so incredibly helpful. I have seriously unruly, coarse pitch black brows but naturally lighter brown hair. I've been waxing/tweezing/threading my brows since I was 12 but I've always wanted to tame them in a way that looked more natural. I always wished I had soft fluffy brows but this looks like the next best thing. Thanks so much!

        ReplyDelete
      18. this is extremely helpful and sensible! thanks for sharing!

        ReplyDelete
      19. I have really black eyebrows and I dyed my hair a reddish brown color. I don't know how it will turn out and I don't like the color difference. What should I do?

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. If you don't want to bleach them, a fantastic alternative is using a tinted brow gel. For reddish brown hair, MAC Girl Boy Brow Set is EXCELLENT. It's one of my favorite products. Perhaps you can stop by a counter and test it on your brows. Anastasia Beverly Hills also has tinted brow gels which are very popular, but I haven't tried them.

          Delete
      20. I am a african American female , I want to try this.
        or should I go to a professional?
        I want to try this because I have a funky idea, !!!!

        ReplyDelete
      21. I dont know what im doing wrong, but my eyebrows always end up orange :-( i have really fair skin n think coarse black eyebrows i leave it on for 2 minutes! where can u get puprle shampoo? just any regular brand/shampoo at tge drug store ?

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. You can buy purple shampoo at Sally's Beauty Supply, or sometimes Walgreen's.

          Delete
      22. So maybe Ive never noticed because Ive never looked, but where do you find purple shampoo?? Can I just find it in the shampoo aisle at Target?? Super excited to try this btw! Thanks! -Jordan

        ReplyDelete
      23. Thank you so much for this tutorial! I have black eyebrows.. so does it matter if I use the extra strength sally hansen creme hair bleach, or is the original one fine? Which do you recommend I use?

        ReplyDelete
      24. For everyone asking most/all beauty supply stores have purple shampoo, I like to use joico purple shampoo and I buy it at Ulta beauty stores

        ReplyDelete
      25. Even cheapo stores like Walmart have purple shampoo...look for a purple shampoo marketed for blondes or silver/gray hair. I saw them recently.

        ReplyDelete
      26. This really is such a detailed and brilliant tutorial! And the finished result looks amazing.

        ReplyDelete
      27. Help please! The girl's right brow in this picture is how my very dark/black brows turned out yesterday after using this product:
        http://www.prohairdesigner.com/images/Lezlee%20brow%20before.jpg. How can I get darken them back up to the original color? I pretty much look like I have no brows! They're too light to fill in with a powder/pencil, the hairs are still very visible. Brushing through them with a very dried up mascara helps, but that takes a while to do and is going to be annoying to do daily.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. My mom said to just use hair dye, but I'm afraid to since I'd be using it close to my eye area. Plus the back of the hair dye box says to wait 14 days to use the dye if you used a bleaching product. That's too long to wait. What will happen if I use the dye a day after bleaching?

          Delete
        2. Nothing will happen, I do it all the time- first i bleach, right after that I dye with a hair dye. Lydia.

          Delete
      28. She had the same problem and voilaa, this little beauty of a product sorted it all out. wikipedia page creation service

        ReplyDelete
      29. It sounds like fabulous!! I have been affectionate of your blog, I’ll come again to visit more posts. Health Insurance Fort Lauderdale

        ReplyDelete
      30. This post is really very nice this also help for the new people who wish for reading knowledgeable blogs.
        oro gold

        ReplyDelete
      31. Cool blog! I found this blog very useful; have learned lots of thing here.
        auto repair Chino Hills

        ReplyDelete
      32. Thanks for sharing a nice post, looks like good; I will give it a try to utilize in my personal life as well. whole life insurance quotes

        ReplyDelete
      33. Hi Dear, have you been certainly visiting this site daily, if that's the case you then will certainly get good knowledge.orogold cosmetics

        ReplyDelete
      34. Thank you for doing such a great job all these years. Thanks, I was looking for information and your blog really helped me.

        ReplyDelete
      35. Really good post. Many men, close to 20 percent, world-wide are afflicted by this sort of skin problem that is certainly absolutely normal, based upon dermatology scientists, and doesn't really need any type of treatment plan. However,, now there are lots guys that suffer mental distress over such concern for the reason that its aesthetic appearance may make these guys experience social in addition to sexual discomfort.

        ReplyDelete
      36. Hi, just curious, wouldn't your brows grow out more root after bleaching if they are trimmed? Being that you leave them some length to grow out, where as if most hair is fully grown, only the shorter ones would grow dark roots, the rest would just slowly shed out and fade gradually to your natural color.

        ReplyDelete